Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Potato Soup Recipe wanted >

Potato Soup Recipe wanted

Potato Soup Recipe wanted

Old 11-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Power Poster

I slice potatoes and onions, boil until really done, turn off burner add canned evaporated milk and a stick of butter, boil again put in celery seeds and make a flour and water mixture, like for gravy, add that and salt and pepper to taste. I like mine kind of thick and potatoes mushy and broke up. Put in parsley. I got this out of an old southern cookbook a late Brother gave me when I got married in 1961.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:46 PM

Potato Leek Soup (from an internet site) I love this, Hubby hates it.

2 Tbsp. olive oil
4 large leeks, cut into 1/4-inch thick slices (about 2 lb.)
4 large russet potatoes, peeled, cubed (about 4 cups)
1-1/4 qt. (5 cups) water
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

HEAT oil in large stockpot on medium heat. Add leeks; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes, water, salt and pepper; stir. Cover. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool 10 minutes.
ADD leek mixture, in batches, to blender container; cover. Blend until pureed. Return to stockpot.
WHISK in cream cheese, a few cubes at a time; cook on medium heat until cream cheese is completely melted, stirring constantly. Add milk; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with chives just before serving.

#
Old 11-21-2011, 04:19 PM

Please, don't add milk, flour or water to potato soup! The thickness can come from mashing some of the potatoes. In a pinch, use mashed potato flakes to thicken the soup. Yum.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:20 PM

Thought I posted this already, but can't find it. It's from a column I wrote for my local newspaper. Enjoy!

CHEESY POTATO SOUP

Potatoes
1 lb. bacon
2 cups shredded cheese
1 cup chopped onions

Cut up the bacon into pieces about ½ inch wide, width of the bacon strip, Stirring often, cook the bacon until it’s a nice brown color, but not crisp. Remove to a paper towel to drain.

Add the chopped onions to the bacon fat and cook until clear or lightly browned. Removed to a paper towel to drain.

Peel and cut into 1 inch pieces enough potatoes to fill a 4-quart or larger pot. Add just enough water to cover the potatoes. The volume of potatoes and water in the pot will be about the amount of soup one will end up with.

Being to a boil and cook until the chunks are fork tender but firm and remove from heat. Do not drain.

Remove about 1/3 to ½ of the potato chunks and a little water from the pot into a blender and whip until smooth. Return the blended potatoes to the pot.

Notice, please, no milk has been added to make “broth” for this soup. The blended potatoes become the broth with the water which remained in the cooking pot. In a pinch, add mashed potato flakes to thicken.

Return the pot to the stove over a low burner. Add the bacon, onions and shredded cheese and cook until the cheese is completely melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Take care not to bring to a boil or leave it on the burner too long as the bottom of the pot will begin to burn. Just heat all ingredients through, and it’s ready to enjoy!
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 PM

When I make mashed potatoes, I always make more than needed so I can have leftovers for the next nights meal. My potato soup recipe is very similar to making mashed potatoes.. Peel and cube potatoes, place in cold water and put on a high simmer until soft. Drain. While they are cooking, I chop a medium sized sweet onion and saute it in 3 T butter until soft. Add the amount of 2% milk you wish, add onion/butter mixture and a cup of your leftover mashed potatoes. Stir gently until well mixed, simmer until milk is warmed. Add salt and pepper to your liking and enjoy! We have this many times during the winter, some like to add cheese to their soup.
Old 12-04-2011, 11:59 PM

I have a great recipe for Potato Soup: 4 or 5 med potatoes cut into small chunks
1 med onion ""
2 carrots ""
2 celery stalks ""
cut some smaller chunks of ham ( I use Fishers Hamlet)
1/2 stick of butter or marg

Put all vegies & ham in lrg pot. Cover with water or chicken stock bring to boil. Reduce heat to slow boil and stir occasionally. Soup will thicken on it's own, when every thing is done, add one can of peas juice and all. Bring back to boil till soup thickens again. You can add Velveeta if you like cheese.