Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Cooking Stuffing/Dressing outside of the turkey??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/cooking-stuffing-dressing-outside-turkey-t169242.html)

shnnn 11-21-2011 11:48 AM

I make my dressing in the crock pot too-- I line it with foil and put the dressing in the foil -- then pour chicken broth outside the foil

julia58 11-21-2011 12:08 PM

I also make mine in the crock pot. It has always turned out very moist and delicious. My favorite part of Thanksgiving. Good dressing. Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

Jingle 11-21-2011 01:51 PM

I like my dressing kind of dry and put gravy on it. My Mom made it kind of soupy, I never ate any until I started making my own. Put Itlaian sausage, walnuts,mushrooms,celery,oinions and raw eggs in mine, pour some broth into it from cooking the giblets, put them in except for the liver. I use cornbread.

fluffygirl 11-21-2011 02:11 PM

I do mine in a covered casserole in the oven. It turns out crispy on top and sides and soft in the middle, just the way my family likes it.

Pat

Toni-in-Texas 11-21-2011 06:09 PM

My Mama taught me to make dressing. She always said to mix it to the consistency that you wanted to be when it was done AND then add another cup of liquid. Because it will dry out a lot as it cooks. Works every time.

susiequilt 11-21-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by sandilee (Post 4704421)
I usually stuff my turkey with potatoes, celery, etc., and do the dressing separate. I like mine very moist so I buy canned chicken broth and add to the dressing to desired moistness.

WOW I thought my family was the only one that did that with the potatoes except I do stuff the turkey with it!

This year I am making both the potato and a bread stuffing so using the crock pot sounds like a good idea.
That way the oven is ready for the rolls and the extra dressing when the turkey comes out. I'll have to remember the extra cup of broth in the crock pot. I think it was kind of dry last year but with extra gravy....................no one noticed!
:D

irishrose 11-21-2011 10:28 PM

Thank you, everyone. You've given me lots of ideas.

gma7 11-22-2011 07:12 AM

I was at a catered meal and the stuffing was sooo good so I asked the caterer and she told me besides the broth she always puts a little ground meat in for moisture- most times hamburger and it doesn't change the flavor. It gets crispy for those who like it that way and stays moist in the center. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

tenngal 11-22-2011 09:29 AM

Can we have your recipe for stuffing in the crockpot? I've never made stuffing before.

Grandma Mary 11-22-2011 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by tenngal (Post 4709822)
Can we have your recipe for stuffing in the crockpot? I've never made stuffing before.

I would like the crockpot dressing too. I have the bags of stuffing but won't have room in my oven for it.