Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   help! with slaw (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/help-slaw-t81256.html)

Aunt Patti 12-07-2010 12:12 PM

I need a good recipe for coleslaw dressing that is creamy

KatFish 12-07-2010 12:34 PM

I just use some mayo, 1/2 to 1 cup. 1 to 3 tablespoons of milk, 1/2 teaspoon celery seed, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice.

quilter2 12-07-2010 01:05 PM

I use a coffee cup to make this, put in 4 tablespoons sugar, fill coffee cup up with miracle whip, add a few drops of vinegar and stir up real good, if I need more dressing I just do it again.

susiequilt 12-07-2010 01:35 PM

I use 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup vinegar. Cook until sugar is dissolved.
cool and add to sour cream 1 pt.
I sometimes add raw grated onions to the slaw.
1/4 tes celery seed if I'm in the mood.
If I have fresh carrots I grate some of those in also.
Raw grated broccoli is good also. Anything goes!
:-D

4L 12-07-2010 02:22 PM

I use my mother-in-law's method.. Real mayo and a bit of french dressing with a bit of milk or cream to make it creamier and stirrable. We love Dorothy Lynch French dressing. It is already quite creamy and even more so done this way. I am making some tonight to go with a chicken /wild rice casserole.

quiltinghere 12-07-2010 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by quilter2
I use a coffee cup to make this, put in 4 tablespoons sugar, fill coffee cup up with miracle whip, add a few drops of vinegar and stir up real good, if I need more dressing I just do it again.

ROFL (sorry :lol: ) How big is the coffee cup! Mine is 18 ounces!

sewgull 12-07-2010 04:06 PM

My recipe is - cut a cabbage up as fine or course as you like. Then use real mayo. not to much, just enough to lightly coat slaw. I use Kraft Mayo. not low fat.

Many people in the South use DUKE'S mayo.

amandasgramma 12-07-2010 08:19 PM

Found this recipe online and has never failed to please everyone.

1/2 head large cabbage, slawed
2 carrots, peeled and grated

Mix together 1 cup mayo, 2 TBSP white vinegar and 2 TBSP sugar. Add to slaw and put in fridge for a few hours.

If you have too much cabbage to the dressing, then add more dressing -- but ALWAYS mix it so the vinegar and sugar are equal amounts.

mrspete 12-07-2010 08:48 PM

Oh yessssssss Duke's for sure!

I finely chop in my food processor, the cabbage and carrots. I do the carrots seperate and I rinse them, too. I want the cole slaw to look white.

Then I measure as the others have said, one cup of mayonaise, one Table spoon of Vinegar and 2 Table spoons of
sugar ( used splenda and it was so tart I had lock jaw ).

but the best maneuver is to buy Marzretti Cole Slaw Dressing in the Produce Dept at the grocers. Love that stuff! Down here in the south they have a BBQ Saw......Yuk!

Pete 12-08-2010 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Patti
I need a good recipe for coleslaw dressing that is creamy

This is a recipe for the best coleslaw ever:

1 bag precut cabbage for slaw
1 oz vinegar (I use a shot glass)
2 oz sugar ""
1 small carton whipping cream (do not whip)

Toss and enjoy

Compliments from Brookville Hotel in Kansas