Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Jams & Jelly (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/jams-jelly-t136370.html)

talkn58 07-10-2011 09:26 AM

Can you send me the ginger rhubarb recipe???
I like to try the new and different!!
Thanks

gmaybee 07-10-2011 09:51 AM

I've made strawberry jam and black raspberry jelly. My husband and I picked wild black raspberries on the 4th of July. We found a new patch but there was lots of poison ivy we had to walk through. We went ahead and picked, then as soon as we got home walked to the laundry room and all clothes and shoes went in the washer for a hot water wash, and we scrubbed ourselves with Tecnu. Thankfully neither of us broke out. The jelly is very good so it was worth it.

Scissor Queen 07-10-2011 10:35 AM

One year I made something like 16 cases of jams and jellies. I made habanero-peach, raspberry-peach, sweet cherry-raspberry, blackberry-plum, jalapeno, blueberry-rhubarb, cinnamon apple, cinnamon pear, Dr Pepper, Mt Dew, and apricot-red pepper. I think there were some strawberry ones too but I don't remember what I mixed it with. I pretty much don't do single flavor jams and only a very few single flavor jellies.

The blackberry-plum was my favorite. The apricot-red pepper was the very best over cream cheese. The habanero-peach was actually hot and excellent for glazing pork roast.

QuiltMom2 07-10-2011 11:14 AM

Did a batch of currant jam last night!

DJRustic 07-10-2011 11:40 AM

My DH has picked 12 gals of wild blackberries from here on our farm. I have made jam & jam & jam. Made a cobbler & a pie. Froze 10 packages for later. Also made a topping for icecream, oh is it good.
Took neighbor some , his wife doesn't like it. We still have probably 20 to 30 gal out there. He had to go out of town today for 2 weeks & I can't go out, poison ivy & I really get it. Hope we still have some when he comes home. Love this place.

jad1044 07-10-2011 11:44 AM

just finished cherry jam and jelly a few weeks ago - will do grapes next when they ripen - so many, I doubt I can use them all!

decky 07-10-2011 12:16 PM

I just like eating the different jams and jellies and usually get mine at the grocery store. Would rather spend my time sewing than making jams/jellies.

J Carol 07-10-2011 02:55 PM

Grandkids and I just finished Mullberry Jelly and it is wonderful too. They picked the berries and I did the cleaning then they each took turns squeezing them into juice. Then it was back to my turn cooking the juice and placing the jelly into the jars. What a wonderful time had by all.

madamekelly 07-10-2011 03:14 PM

Orange jam(not marmalade)

javin22 07-10-2011 03:16 PM

I usually make Choke cherry and elderberry jelly. But this year, I don't think I will get any berries. We have a bear at the cabin that stripped all the choke cherry trees and who knows if I will have any elderberries.