Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Looking for recipes for carrots (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/looking-recipes-carrots-t293498.html)

Tartan 12-23-2017 09:11 AM

One of my son's favourite recipes- carrot salad. I grate the carrots on the inch long ovals on my grater usually 6-8 carrots and then add Miracle Whip until the shreds are covered and refrigerate bowl until serving. Yummy!

farmquilter 12-23-2017 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt (Post 7968128)
Mrs. gladding gave me a recipe about 30 years ago and we love it!

2 cups carrots (sliced thin or very small ones)
1 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt
3-4 tablespoons parsley

Place all except parsley in a saucepan and cook, covered, until water has cooked away. Let carrots sauté in utter that remains in pan until golden brown. Sprinkle and stir with chopped parsley.

I just made your recipe using 1 pound of carrots that made 2.5+ cups, also used 1/2 teaspoon of Truvia then the remaining items.
They are so very good and it is just me in the household, had to put them away before eating all of them. They are not real sweet and do not really taste like a cooked carrot, a good thing. Will be making them again for sure, thank you for your recipe.

Any hints on how to deal with them and take to a church potluck dinner. Putting them in a small crock pot to stay hot might over cook them, unless I can do them on site before the meal, in the crock pot.

Jeanne S 12-23-2017 10:50 AM

I love them cooked al dente, drained and stir in a little honey to glaze them.

barny 12-23-2017 11:40 AM

My sister-in-law used to put them in a microwave and put a little brown sugar on them. That is all I know. I loved them. I'm sure a little butter and covered.

QuiltE 12-23-2017 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S (Post 7968278)
I love them cooked al dente, drained and stir in a little honey to glaze them.

.......... or a little butter and maple syrup!
Yummmmmmmmm! :)

tranum 12-23-2017 01:05 PM

Macaroni Salad for 30: 1 lb elbow macaroni, cooked & drained well
1 diced green pepper
1 diced cucumber,
1 heaping cup grated carrots,
1 cup diced celery,
1 diced tomato or use grape tomatoes,
Onion to taste, grated fine.
Dressing is follows: 3/4 can Sweetened condensed milk,
3/4 cup white vinegar,
2 cups Mayo,
1 tsp salt,
1/2 tsp pepper.
Refrigerate overnight & it keeps well.

Tuna on a Shoestring. (this is an “old-ie”)
2 cans solid white tuna, 1 cup diced celery
1 cup coarse shredded carrots
1 cup or less mayo
1/4 cup diced onion
Salt & pepper
combine above then right before eating, stir in a small can dry shoestring potatoes

JENNR8R 12-24-2017 04:10 AM

Fresh Dilled Carrots

1 package raw Carrots (chopped into bite sized pieces and steamed

˝ package of fresh Dill (washed and chopped very fine, including the stems

Mix the carrots with some Butter and fresh dill. If you wish, you can premake and then heat up later in the microwave.

farmquilter 12-24-2017 05:51 AM

JENNR8R, your version sounds like a nice change and would be pretty with the green dill and carrots.
Do you think dill weed would work as fresh is not available now and how about a little dill pickle juice to bring out the dill flavor.

JustAbitCrazy 12-24-2017 05:51 AM

Here you go, Needles, it's easy:

Marinated Carrots

2 lbs. carrots
1 can tomato soup
1/2 c. oil (optional)
3/4 c. vinegar
3/4 c. sugar
pepper to taste
1 onion, sliced thin
1 green pepper, diced
optional: some small steamed cauliflower florets

Steam the carrots whole until they are just tender all the way through, not mushy. After they cool a bit, slice them down into "coins' which are about a half inch thick. (You want to be able to stir them later without them breaking.) Mix the tomato soup, oil, vinegar, sugar and pepper in a large bowl, stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the carrots, diced green peppers, onion and cauliflower, mix gently to moisten everything. Refrigerate and mix occasionally so the vegetables at the top get rotated down into the marinade. Serve cold. My recipe says it keeps in the refrigerator for 2 weeks! Ours never lasts that long, lol.

maviskw 12-24-2017 06:05 AM

I make my carrot cake in the blender. No need to grate them.
I put all the dry ingredients into a large bowl.
Put eggs, vanilla and milk into the blender.
Cut carrots into chunks. I use about 4 cups of chunks.
Heat carrots in the microwave until they are quite warm. 2 or 3 minutes.
Add half of carrots to blender pitcher and blend. Add more carrots and blend.
Add butter and coconut oil and blend. If pitcher gets too full, pour about half into the dry ingredients.
All all the rest of the carrots and blend. Add all to dry ingredients. Spread into pan and bake.