Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   not really recipe - tea drinkers out there? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/not-really-recipe-tea-drinkers-out-there-t62745.html)

ptquilts 09-02-2010 02:17 PM

I have always loved a good cup of tea but lately haven't found any. I used to like Lipton, lately it seems blah to me. Tried Salada, same thing, was going to try Red Rose, found out it was made by Salada. Now I am on Tetley, not too bad but still not what I am looking for - a tea with a bright aroma and flavor.

Any ideas from real tea mavens out there? Maybe my taste buds are just getting too old.

Needless to say I am talking about plain tea, not anything flavored.

janRN 09-02-2010 02:41 PM

Pt: I'm a tea drinker, too, and I agree that the tea seems weaker now. Do you think they downsized the amt of tea in the teabags? Everything else has gotten smaller, why not tea? I've been drinking a lot of diet Snapple this summer-I usually don't like flavored tea, esp don't like diet but Snapple is pretty good.
My husband brought some tea back from China that someone had given him as a gift. OMG!! It looked and tasted like tar!! Next time he brings some home, I'll send you some. See how your "old tastebuds" like it LOL. If you find a good teabag, let me know!!

ptquilts 09-02-2010 02:46 PM

then it's not just me! I remember when I was little, the tea canister always smelled so good when you opened it. I don't get that aroma anymore even with a fresh box of tea bags.

leaha 09-02-2010 03:14 PM

I too am a tea drinker, and one thing I do NOT use is a tea bag! I get Twinings Earl Gray loose leaf. Oh & I really like, Harney & Sons Russian country, (it is a black tea) also loose leaf. I make a pot of strong Russian country and a pot of Peppeermint, then mix them for iced tea, very refreshing! But Twinings and Harney & Sons are what I drink.

quilttiludrop 09-02-2010 03:26 PM

Red Rose is my favorite! 2nd choice is Lipton. I like almost all Bigelow teas. For a hearty non-caffeinated tea, try Good Earth Original! It will not let you down! Try hotter water or steeping longer if you want a richer flavor! Another one you might try for fun is Celestial Seasonings Roastaroma Mocha Spice (also non-caffeinated).

Rhonda 09-02-2010 03:49 PM

My favorite is hot green tea. My grandpa collected teas and he made me green tea every morning in a tea pot that looks like the old aluminum coffee pots but it had an egg shaped aluminum thing for the tea leaves that hung in the middle and the water bubbled up over it. I love green tea with sugar. I drink it especially when I am achy or just for breakfast or whenever I feel the need. Reminds me of my grandpa every time.

hobo2000 09-02-2010 03:50 PM

Go online to Republic of tea. All of their teas are wonderful. My son has me hooked on iced green tea as I have high blood pressure. It really does make me feel better. In the ROT I love their Earl grey, English breakfast tea.

Patty Sue 09-02-2010 04:57 PM

Try my favorite, Constant Comment. It has a nice sharp
flavor and smells delightful. I love the odor as much as the
taste.

hazeljane 09-02-2010 05:00 PM

Twinings Irish Breakfast is my fave. Twinings Earl Grey is a close runner up.

sewgull 09-02-2010 05:10 PM

For iced tea I use Lizianne def. with sugar. Water has to do with the taste. Do you hard or soft water? Celestial Seasoning for a cup of hot tea.