Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Rhubarb Custard Dessert (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/rhubarb-custard-dessert-t220566.html)

ArchaicArcane 05-05-2013 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion (Post 6045384)
Well there would be eggs in the cake mix. But you could scrape that off and just eat the rhubarb custard on the bottom.

That would hurt my belly (and lungs and...) too, but I was thinking there's a chance I can find an eggless yellow cake recipe. Might not be identical, but I can still pretend at that point. :)

quilter1 05-06-2013 03:56 AM

This is a great recipe, I have been making it for years. A yellow or white cake mix is just fine.

Pat G 05-16-2013 08:43 PM

Rhubarb custard cake

Would any other fruit work instead of rhubarb? Sure sounds good but would be interested in a substitute.

barny 05-17-2013 10:50 AM

Hello Purple passion. I have this in the oven now. I didn't know how big to chop the rhubarb? So it is pretty small. Just pour the un-whipped cream over? that is what I did.ha. I love rhubarb. I'm taking it to our Church Domino games tonight. It's a test! I hope I did it right. Thanks so much.

mimiof4 05-17-2013 12:26 PM

Oh my sounds wonderful we love anything Rhubard. Ingreds. on my grocery list.

barny 05-17-2013 12:27 PM

Yahoo! The cake is out and I couldn't wait. Dipped a hot piece out and Yummmm! Don't know if I'm gonna take it to dominoes or not. May take cheese and a pizza, and keep the cake at home.ha.

PurplePassion 05-17-2013 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 6069498)
Hello Purple passion. I have this in the oven now. I didn't know how big to chop the rhubarb? So it is pretty small. Just pour the un-whipped cream over? that is what I did.ha. I love rhubarb. I'm taking it to our Church Domino games tonight. It's a test! I hope I did it right. Thanks so much.

I just cut it in about 1/2" pieces. Yes just pour the unwhipped cream over top. It is so easy. I can't wait for my rhubarb to get bigger. My little GS likes to pick the little stalks and eat them while he is out in the yard.

PurplePassion 05-17-2013 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by barny (Post 6069498)

I just cut it in about 1/2" pieces. Yes just pour the unwhipped cream over top. It is so easy. I can't wait for my rhubarb to get bigger. My little GS likes to pick the little stalks and eat them while he is out in the yard.

FairviewFarm 05-18-2013 06:02 PM

Purple Passion ~

What size baking dish do you use when you cut the recipe in half? Do you then use one of those small Jiffy Mix cake mixes?

TIA

PurplePassion 05-18-2013 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by FairviewFarm (Post 6071949)
Purple Passion ~

What size baking dish do you use when you cut the recipe in half? Do you then use one of those small Jiffy Mix cake mixes?

TIA

I use a 9 x9 cake pan, or you can use a square corning ware dish. I don't like the taste of the Jiffy mix so I use half a box of cake mix and save the rest for another time. But if you like Jiffy mix you can use that .