Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45

Thread: Rhubarb Custard Dessert

  1. #1
    Super Member PurplePassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    2,621

    Rhubarb Custard Dessert

    1 package yellow cake mix
    4 cups chopped rhubarb
    1 cup sugar
    1 pint heavy whipping cream

    Prepare cake mix according to directions. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 glass cake pan. Cover batter with 4 cups chopped rhubarb, sprinkle rhubarb with 1 cup sugar. Pour 1 pint heavy whipping cream over all ingredients in pan. Bale at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes or until cake springs back to touch. Cream and rhubarb will sink to the bottom forming a lush custard layer. Store leftovers in the frig.

  2. #2
    Power Poster Mariposa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    26,729
    Sounds really yummy!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

  3. #3
    Super Member JoyjoyMarie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dover DE
    Posts
    3,594
    Blog Entries
    1
    OMG! That's so easy and sounds terrific - Hope my 2 dwindling plants give me enough to try it soon!!
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tall Corn State
    Posts
    1,213
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
    1 package yellow cake mix
    4 cups chopped rhubarb
    1 cup sugar
    1 pint heavy whipping cream

    Prepare cake mix according to directions. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 glass cake pan. Cover batter with 4 cups chopped rhubarb, sprinkle rhubarb with 1 cup sugar. Pour 1 pint heavy whipping cream over all ingredients in pan. Bale at 350 degrees for 50 - 60 minutes or until cake springs back to touch. Cream and rhubarb will sink to the bottom forming a lush custard layer. Store leftovers in the frig.
    As I've said before - I miss rhubarb!! Too expensive here - drat! I added more rhubarb cause I really really like it. Yes this is a very good recipe.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    the middle of Michigan
    Posts
    815
    I wrote that one down. Thank you!

  6. #6
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Michigan Thumb
    Posts
    1,211
    PurplePassion, that is the recipe I have been using and it has been requested every spring and even in place of a birthday cake.

  7. #7
    Super Member PurplePassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie View Post
    OMG! That's so easy and sounds terrific - Hope my 2 dwindling plants give me enough to try it soon!!
    I have cut the recipe in half ; it's enough for just a couple of people.

  8. #8
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,085
    Sounds so good. Unfortunately, DH is prone to kidney stones, so no rhubarb for us.

  9. #9
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    What? no eggs? I thought Custard always had eggs! I haven't had custard in years because I can't have eggs.
    This looks delicious. Grow little Rhubby, grow!! (it's early spring for us, it's still "cute" and about 2" high. )

  10. #10
    Super Member PurplePassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    What? no eggs? I thought Custard always had eggs! I haven't had custard in years because I can't have eggs.
    This looks delicious. Grow little Rhubby, grow!! (it's early spring for us, it's still "cute" and about 2" high. )
    Well there would be eggs in the cake mix. But you could scrape that off and just eat the rhubarb custard on the bottom.

  11. #11
    Super Member ArchaicArcane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Not Here
    Posts
    3,795
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
    Well there would be eggs in the cake mix. But you could scrape that off and just eat the rhubarb custard on the bottom.
    That would hurt my belly (and lungs and...) too, but I was thinking there's a chance I can find an eggless yellow cake recipe. Might not be identical, but I can still pretend at that point.

  12. #12
    Super Member quilter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ayr, Ontario
    Posts
    1,064
    Blog Entries
    326
    This is a great recipe, I have been making it for years. A yellow or white cake mix is just fine.

  13. #13
    Super Member Pat G's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Western Arizona
    Posts
    1,897

    Rhubarb custard cake

    Would any other fruit work instead of rhubarb? Sure sounds good but would be interested in a substitute.

  14. #14
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    dallas tx.
    Posts
    4,570
    Blog Entries
    3
    Hello Purple passion. I have this in the oven now. I didn't know how big to chop the rhubarb? So it is pretty small. Just pour the un-whipped cream over? that is what I did.ha. I love rhubarb. I'm taking it to our Church Domino games tonight. It's a test! I hope I did it right. Thanks so much.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    861
    Oh my sounds wonderful we love anything Rhubard. Ingreds. on my grocery list.

  16. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    dallas tx.
    Posts
    4,570
    Blog Entries
    3
    Yahoo! The cake is out and I couldn't wait. Dipped a hot piece out and Yummmm! Don't know if I'm gonna take it to dominoes or not. May take cheese and a pizza, and keep the cake at home.ha.

  17. #17
    Super Member PurplePassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    Hello Purple passion. I have this in the oven now. I didn't know how big to chop the rhubarb? So it is pretty small. Just pour the un-whipped cream over? that is what I did.ha. I love rhubarb. I'm taking it to our Church Domino games tonight. It's a test! I hope I did it right. Thanks so much.
    I just cut it in about 1/2" pieces. Yes just pour the unwhipped cream over top. It is so easy. I can't wait for my rhubarb to get bigger. My little GS likes to pick the little stalks and eat them while he is out in the yard.

  18. #18
    Super Member PurplePassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by barny View Post
    Hello Purple passion. I have this in the oven now. I didn't know how big to chop the rhubarb? So it is pretty small. Just pour the un-whipped cream over? that is what I did.ha. I love rhubarb. I'm taking it to our Church Domino games tonight. It's a test! I hope I did it right. Thanks so much.
    I just cut it in about 1/2" pieces. Yes just pour the unwhipped cream over top. It is so easy. I can't wait for my rhubarb to get bigger. My little GS likes to pick the little stalks and eat them while he is out in the yard.

  19. #19
    Member FairviewFarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    34
    Purple Passion ~

    What size baking dish do you use when you cut the recipe in half? Do you then use one of those small Jiffy Mix cake mixes?

    TIA

  20. #20
    Super Member PurplePassion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Southern MN
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by FairviewFarm View Post
    Purple Passion ~

    What size baking dish do you use when you cut the recipe in half? Do you then use one of those small Jiffy Mix cake mixes?

    TIA
    I use a 9 x9 cake pan, or you can use a square corning ware dish. I don't like the taste of the Jiffy mix so I use half a box of cake mix and save the rest for another time. But if you like Jiffy mix you can use that .

  21. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    119
    OH MY GOSH.....this cake is so good!!!! I've never made anything with rhubarb before. During our garage sales run yesterday, one place had a tub of fresh from the garden rhubarb and the stalks were huge. The price was 15 cents each or 2 for 25 cents and I bought 6 stalks. It only took 2 stalks to make 4 cups chopped. I used half and half in place of whipping cream and got a thin custard layer. The kitchen smelled wonderful as the cake baked. I let the cake cool for 20 minutes and couldn't resist trying a spoonful..and another....and another. Hubby wandered by and did the same thing. This recipe is a keeper.

  22. #22
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6,079
    Sure sounds yummy & I imagine it would be just as good using an actual cake recipe rather than the mix. I can't imagine the puny little stalks of rhubarb on my new plant would yield 4 cups, but it's tempting.

  23. #23
    Junior Member Quilts rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    126
    Oh my gosh this sounds good and I have a rhubarb plant just waiting to be picked!

  24. #24
    Junior Member Quilts rock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Eastern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    126
    An update- I made it and its awesome and soooo easy!!! Thanks for letting us in on it!

  25. #25
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Posts
    15,812
    Blog Entries
    3
    Bet that would be good with strawberries added to it. Hmm! Making me think about a strawberry rhubarb pie and big ole scoop of vanilla bean icecream. Oh Lord help me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.