Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rhubarb Custard Dessert

Blog Entries
    Tried your recipe today and we both agreed. A keeper for sure. Surprise company loved it too.

tried this twice over the weekend, once with lemon cake and once with strawberry (with 1/2 the cream), it was delicious both ways , back out here today to copy the recipe in to an email for our librarian.

Blog Entries
    Flax seed can be used as an egg replacement - try that.
    Quote Originally Posted by PurplePassion View Post
    Well there would be eggs in the cake mix. But you could scrape that off and just eat the rhubarb custard on the bottom.
    Murphy1
    For our wonderful Golden Retriever adopted in March of 2010.

Thanks Murphy1! I have used flax meal for cookies and muffins. I wasn't sure what it would do in a custard. I'll give it a shot though, what the heck. It can't be weirder than the Yorkshire pudding. Yeah, that doesn't work without eggs, at all.

Bringing this recipe back to the top; Since it is Rhubarb season again.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Dew View Post
    As I've said before - I miss rhubarb!! Too expensive here - drat! I added more rhubarb cause I really really like it. Yes this is a very good recipe.
    We buy frozen and yes, expensive. The fresh rhubarb that comes here is pretty much dried out by the time it gets here. Think I may need a grocery store trip tomorrow.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I love rhubarb but rarely see it down here in TX, if I find some I'll make this dessert, it sounds wonderful.

I am so glad this recipe got bumped back up. I got some rhubarb in my farm bag last week and didn't know what to do with it. I don't like strawberry rhubarb pie and every other recipe I found sounded so involved. I didn't have quite 2 cups of rhubarb for a half recipe so I supplemented with some frozen blueberries. WOW was it ever good. Thank you PurpleP for a great and EASY recipe.

Blog Entries
    I made strawberry rhubarb cake...yummy! I'm going to try fresh pie cherries next,and then peaches...
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

I used to grow rhubarb plants. I buy it now at the grocery. I love rhubarb and strawberries cooked together too. I can't have the seeds anymore so I sub with seedless strawberry jam in the cooked rhubarb. Serve it over shortcake with whipped topping.

I have to try this recipe it sounds so yummy! Thanks purplepassion!
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

My sweet tooth is aching from reading this thread. I have no idea if I can get rhubarb here or not.I haven't had it since I was a kid. Off to the grocer I go to see if I can find it. Thanks for the recipe.

Vicky

Interesting. Being from So CA, I have never had rhubarb ever in my life. Thanks for the post.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Is rhubarb a "northern" thing? I have a plant that's going gangbusters at the moment and I couldn't kill it if I tried...

Blog Entries
    second that. thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
    Is rhubarb a "northern" thing? I have a plant that's going gangbusters at the moment and I couldn't kill it if I tried...
    Yes, it is a northern thing. We had it in PA and also Seattle area. But it doesn't grow here. You are one lucky duck!! I have a cookbook with only rhubarb recipes. Love rhubarb! There was a restaurant that served rhubarb lemonade. Oh my! Almost better than chocolate!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by coopah View Post
    Yes, it is a northern thing. We had it in PA and also Seattle area. But it doesn't grow here. You are one lucky duck!! I have a cookbook with only rhubarb recipes. Love rhubarb! There was a restaurant that served rhubarb lemonade. Oh my! Almost better than chocolate!
    I so wish I could send you some! DH asked me to plant it then decided that it bothered his stomach in ways it didn't used to. So now I have an entire corner of the garden in shadow.

Wait. Better than chocolate? Is that possible?

My Husband and I had Rhubarb punch at our wedding in Upstate New York in 1957.

Well, I made the Rhubarb Lemonade syrup yesterday. DH said it was great despite him mixing it 1/3 syrup to 2/3 water instead of the 1:3 I told him to do it at. He likes it better than chocolate...

Blog Entries
    I tried your recipe, but with fresh raspberries and I did not add the extra sugar/

I ate two pieces and my 19 year old son had the rest eaten in 2 days,

Next we will try with blueberries.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Blog Entries
    I love rhubarb custard pie and now I think I will go get the last of my neighbors rhubarb and make some or even rhubarb strawberry jam...
    Squirrelly Shirley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2