Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Southern Fried Pies ***Apple of course*** (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/southern-fried-pies-%2A%2A%2Aapple-course%2A%2A%2A-t153178.html)

blueangel 09-16-2011 02:59 PM

Sounds yummy

terry leffler 09-16-2011 03:15 PM

for shortening do you use margarine or Crisco?

KS quilter 09-16-2011 03:30 PM

Thanks for the recipe. I make a lot of pies, but have never
triedd the fried pies. I have found anything you make that
is time consuming is usually well worth it. I'm anxious to
make them.

rsmomx3 09-16-2011 03:34 PM

My MIL and my husband use to make these all the time. Needless to say I could never get enough. They have both passed away and I had forgotten about the fried pies and how much I loved them. I am so glad you posted the directions.Thank You

ncredbird 09-16-2011 05:19 PM

A couple of questions. And yes, I know they wouldn't be "fried" pies but have you ever tried baking these? If so with what results?
Ever add any cinnamon to the filling?
My DH loves fried pies but asked if they could be baked instead.
Ann in TN

amazon 09-16-2011 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by ncredbird
A couple of questions. And yes, I know they wouldn't be "fried" pies but have you ever tried baking these? If so with what results?
Ever add any cinnamon to the filling?
My DH loves fried pies but asked if they could be baked instead.
Ann in TN

Yes, they bake up very nicely, just turn them so that both sides get nice and brown. :oops: :oops: Yes, another thing I forgot to add,it is optional though. I use 1/4 teaspoon to the 3lb. bag of apples.

amazon 09-16-2011 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by rsmomx3
My MIL and my husband use to make these all the time. Needless to say I could never get enough. They have both passed away and I had forgotten about the fried pies and how much I loved them. I am so glad you posted the directions.Thank You

Originally Posted by hspirit_99
that look just like the way me and my dad made them when i was a kid. thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories. ill be making some this weekend.

Isn't it amazing how many memories we have that are tied to food. :-D

amazon 09-16-2011 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by terry leffler
for shortening do you use margarine or Crisco?

I use Crisco,there is also a butter flavored . With real butter , its fries up a little different, I have used both together in a batch, came out nice too.

amazon 09-16-2011 06:45 PM

So glad that everyone is enjoying this recipe. I want to add that any filling works great. Over the years I have tried all kinds. Some of my favorites are cinnamon, chocolate, sweet potato, strawberry , fig and blueberry. I have even made pecan pie fried pies , yummy but oh, so rich. I guess the skies the limit or as we say whatever melts your butter. I fried another 30 today(apple & cinnamon) and made chocolate oatmeal no-bake cookies for my DD's teachers and Principal and office staff.Next week I'm making Honeybun cake for my boys teachers and office staff.I love this time of year for both baking and of course quilting. Happy baking, frying :thumbup:

mzmama 09-16-2011 07:44 PM

Oh, does this bring back memories. My Mother use to make fried pies with the apples from the tree next to our house.