Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Southern Fried Pies ***Apple of course*** (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/southern-fried-pies-%2A%2A%2Aapple-course%2A%2A%2A-t153178.html)

amazon 09-15-2011 11:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my other passion, baking, well in this case it's frying. :lol: My wonderful MIL makes these and she has graciously given me her recipe. This is not a quick dessert, but it is so worth all the trouble. I start the day before by doing a little prep, peeling the apples and faux- drying them. What is faux drying you ask, well.. it's simple really. Peel a 3 pound bag of apples; yellow delicious, Fiji , Gala or a mixture.Dice and then stir in 1 cup of sugar or substitute and 1 T. of vinegar, cover and let set out overnight( refrigerate if using substitute), stirring occasionally. I also make my dough the night before.
The next morning mix:
2- T cornstarch and 1/8 cup water together. cut up half a stick of butter , add to apples and cook in micorwave for approx 15 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool to room temp or chill in fridge.

Fried Pie Dough
5- cups of all-purpose flour
3- eggs
1- can (12oz) of Evaporated milk * Note* not condensed milk
3/4 - cup of shortning
A pinch of salt
Oil for frying

Cut shortning into flour in large bowl, set aside, wisk Evap. milk and eggs & salt together, . Make a well in center of flour mixture, add milk and egg mix. Fold from sides to middle until it turns away from the sides , cover and chill.

Whew, tired yet? Well, keep going , I'm telling you its worth it!

The next day roll out your dough( I use a heavy marble rolling pin)very thin, where you can almost see thru it. About the same thickness as 5 sheets of copier paper. Decide your size, I use the lid to my tea maker to cut it out. Place desired amount of apples off center slightly, brush half of dough edge with water, fold over and crimp with a fork dipped in flour. Fry at 350 degrees till golden brown. I use an eletric skillet with about 1 1/2 inches of oil. Stand back while they disappear! Some folks at church will just about take your arm off for them.And the teachers love me, when I leave goodie bags in their cubbies at school. Enjoy!

Sorry it is so long.

craftybear 09-15-2011 11:56 AM

thanks for the recipe, yummy

Patty Patches 09-15-2011 11:59 AM

Dont you sprinkle yours with sugar?You can use powdered or granulated

GAgal 09-15-2011 12:10 PM

Ohhhhh! Those look so delicious! Who can resist a fried apple pie?

TacoMama 09-15-2011 12:12 PM

Oh those look good. I make fried pies, too and yes, everyone wants them. WIsh I had one right now!!!!!!!! Yours or mine.

Sandra-P 09-15-2011 12:27 PM

Thank you for sharing! Sounds so good.

Missysgottohelp 09-15-2011 01:34 PM

Thanks for the recipe, I love fried pies!

hspirit_99 09-15-2011 01:54 PM

that look just like the way me and my dad made them when i was a kid. thanks for bringing back some wonderful memories. ill be making some this weekend. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

emmamarie 09-15-2011 02:52 PM

thanks for the recipe.want to try them soon.

Sweeterthanwine 09-15-2011 04:02 PM

My Dear MIL used to make these only she used cooked dried apricots. They were so good.