Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Thanksgiving For Only 2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/thanksgiving-only-2-a-t312953.html)

eparys 10-31-2020 12:41 PM

I would do as simple as possible. In the past on years that it is just the DH and I, I have gotten a turkey breast, did a small amount of stuffing, vegie, sweet potato, canned cranberry, gravyand of course pie - it was fine and just about perfect in the amount. I even cooked the breast in the crock pot. lol.

This year the kids will not be here (due to Covid) but I am doing something different. The local supermarket does a meal for 6 - but there is only two and we would be eating it for a month. However, a local B&B has been struggling during these unsettled times and has begun selling a once a week "Take Home Meals". We have done several of these so far to help them out and the food has been fantastic and often enough food for a second left over meal!! For their Thanksgiving meal for 2 - they are charging $40 and will be serving Turkey, stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Butternut Squash, Green Bean Casserole, gravy , rolls as well as pie. You pick it up in oven ready containers - pop it in the stove at 350 to keep it warm. My order is already in - https://cdn.quiltingboard.com/images/smilies/smile.png

SewEnchanted 10-31-2020 02:17 PM

That sounds like an excellent option! I wish I knew of something similar near me.
As it stands, I am leaning toward scallops in lieu of turkey. It is just two of us, and we both really like scallops. They are so fast to make and so yummy! I am thinking they would be good with a spoonful of stuffing, veggies and some pie.

janiebakes 10-31-2020 03:02 PM

Any brand of instant mashed potatoes is much improved if you use milk for all the liquid called for instead of water and milk.

Julienm1 10-31-2020 03:15 PM

Pork tenderloin for the three of with usual sides. We've done it the easy way for several years. No muss. No fuss.

Irishrose2 10-31-2020 03:30 PM

I've been invited to Kentucky for Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure that is going to work with the COVID. If I don't go, it may dinner for one here. I am immunocompromised and so is my grandson who's living with my daughter until his visa comes through to move to Japan. He can't be exposed now. If she drives me to Kentucky, we will have a few exposures. Is it worth it? I don't see my son enough, but he will understand if we don't come.

Rhonda K 10-31-2020 03:33 PM

We are having roast pork, rice and gravy plus vegetables. There will 4 adults and one Little man. It will be a breeze to cook. I am happy for our little family.

mjkgquilt 10-31-2020 03:58 PM

Think it will be Dinner for One this year. Two restaurants near me are serving Thanksgiving Dinner. Might make stuffing, mashed potatoes and cranberry sauce. Love Scallops and if I include them, it will be a perfect dinner.

SuzzyQ 10-31-2020 04:25 PM

DD & I had our Thanksgiving (Canada) with chicken and stuffing, broccoli casserole and turnip and apple crisp. Enough for our meal and three freezer meals plus some cold meat for sandwiches. Worked for us! (we both live the sides and roast chicken)

cashs_mom 10-31-2020 06:27 PM

It's always just my husband and I at Thanksgiving. We used to just fix some meal that we didn't usually have like lasagna or spaghetti with meat balls and Italian sausage. Now that I am on a very restricted diet, we usually both just fix what we'd like to eat. I usually fix a special green salad to go with it and a sweet potato casserole or roast potatoes. Makes a nice easy day.

Murphy224 11-01-2020 12:56 AM

It will be just my sister, mom, and me this year. The past few years the three of us went out for Thanksgiving but our favorite place has closed and since we are all high risk, we just can't go out this year. I told them I would make a turkey, dressing, and gravy. I will make cranberry sauce earlier to have with the meal. It is a holiday meal and skipping veggies one meal will not hurt anyone. Turkey, dressing, gravy, and cranberry sauce are my favorite parts of Thanksgiving anyway, and I only get it once a year, so why not just eat what you like. With the leftover meals, on subsequent days, I will add veggies and such. We like leftovers and have freezers that are perfect for making up meals for later.
That is my plan and I will stick to it!!!!