Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   Thanksgiving For Only 2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/thanksgiving-only-2-a-t312953.html)

tropit 10-31-2020 06:45 AM

Thanksgiving For Only 2

Normally, I do a big Thanksgiving dinner, but this year, with Covid-19, it's just going to be the DH and I. Actually, I'm kind of relieved, because that big dinner that we normally have is really getting to be too much for me to do every year. People help, but not that much. So, what to make for just 2 people? Anyone else have this dilemma? What are you making? Here are a couple of my ideas:

1. Skip the turkey altogether and go totally vegan.
2. Go mostly vegan for the sides, but have some kind of seafood as the main course.
3. Buy a turkey breast and do the traditional sides.
4. Just have a nice soup, a salad, a side, and pie with ice cream afterwards.

I'm really loving this freedom to make whatever I want this year. The DH doesn't care and will love whatever I do.

FoxyLady 10-31-2020 06:58 AM

Thanksgiving for only 2

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 8429013)
Normally, I do a big Thanksgiving dinner, but this year, with Covid-19, it's just going to be the DH and I. Actually, I'm kind of relieved, because that big dinner that we normally have is really getting to be too much for me to do every year. People help, but not that much. So, what to make for just 2 people? Anyone else have this dilemma? What are you making? Here are a couple of my ideas:

1. Skip the turkey altogether and go totally vegan.
2. Go mostly vegan for the sides, but have some kind of seafood as the main course.
3. Buy a turkey breast and do the traditional sides.
4. Just have a nice soup, a salad, a side, and pie with ice cream afterwards.

I'm really loving this freedom to make whatever I want this year. The DH doesn't care and will love whatever I do.

My local grocers offer a great option that I have used. They will put together a dinner for 2 which includes turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, cranberry relish, and pie. It is really quite good and much less expensive than doing it from scratch. So, I suggest you check with your local grocer and see if this is available in your area.

tropit 10-31-2020 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by FoxyLady (Post 8429021)
My local grocers offer a great option that I have used. They will put together a dinner for 2 which includes turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, rolls, cranberry relish, and pie. It is really quite good and much less expensive than doing it from scratch. So, I suggest you check with your local grocer and see if this is available in your area.

Thanks...great idea. Unfortunately, we don't live near a local grocer, so it would be tired and cold by the time we got it home. :( One year, we took everyone out for Thanksgiving dinner and that was a huge hit, but we can't do that this year with the pandemic. Besides, it was pretty expensive.

osewme 10-31-2020 07:37 AM

We have a great restaurant called Kelly's Country Cookin' that serves fantastic home made tasting food. You always get big proportions of food (enough to take home for a second meal). You can order a Thanksgiving plate from them & pick it up and take it home. I would love to do that this year since it will just be the two of us also. Not sure if DH will be up to going out & picking it up but we will see as time draws closer. The thought of not fixing a meal here would cause me to have no (or few) leftovers & I love, love, love leftover stuffing & gravy.

juliasb 10-31-2020 08:35 AM

It has only been the two of us for years. I make Cornish hens and a ham steak I stuff the bird which gives me the stuffing I desire for the holiday DH love the ham. Mash potatoes and home made cranberry sauce with crescent rolls round off the meal. I also make a homemade pumpkin pie. This year a friend bought over enough pumpkin for 10 pies! I have learned to cook smaller for the holiday. Same thing for the Christmas holiday..

bearisgray 10-31-2020 09:04 AM

I wonder how many other people are simplifying their holiday dinners this year?

If I was doing it, I would go as "simplified" as possible -

Turkey breast
Instant mashed potatoes (some brands are very good)
Gravy - made by me - I make good gravy
Stove top stuffing with Jimmy Dean sausage added
Cranberry relish - made from fresh cranberries - much better than canned
Fresh vegetables cooked - maybe broccoli or green beans
Dill pickles
Purchased rolls

By the time we've eaten more than our fill of that, who needs dessert?

A friend of mine makes an awesome sweet potato something (so does Golden Corral restaurant) that is served as a vegetable, but I think it is more than sweet enough to be served as a dessert.

Served buffet style .

ckcowl 10-31-2020 09:29 AM

My hubby and I have done Thanksgiving for 2 numerous times over the past decade. A couple times we bought a boneless turkey breast, had that with stove top stuffing a salad and pumpkin pie. Sometimes we do the mashed potatoes and gravy and a veggie. A couple years we’ve decided to do seafood ( fresh Maine lobster flown in) with salad and dessert. We keep it fairly simple- low key. Often we are doing this because I work in healthcare and often have to work on thanksgiving so we plan ahead and prep early so he can just get things going before I get home. We enjoy our little Thanksgivings .

sewingpup 10-31-2020 09:35 AM

umm...it will be only one here....but my sister who lives next door just might give me a piece of homemade pumpkin pie. I have purchased a turkey and vegetable dinner for one from the Schwann's man (frozen food delivery service) which I am planning on having for diner one of these days....and if it is good....I just may purchase a few more and one will be my thanksgiving day diner....actually, as I usually help my sister do the family thanksgiving....I don't mind being lazy and just popping food into the microwave. We have been more in isolation than a lot of my friends....one friend is gong to an open house, then her grandson is going over to some inlaws....then he is going back and he and his parents are going to other inlaws and my friend is joining them there for an extended family diner....and this is just for Halloween tonight....That is all just too much contact with too many people for me. I am pretty high risk...just plan on watching tv tonight and keeping my outdoor lights off....No trick or treat for me.

Onebyone 10-31-2020 09:54 AM

DD is hosting Thanksgiving at her house this year for the family and in laws. We all have a big dinner together several times a month so it's not a big deal, just different food.

Doggramma 10-31-2020 09:57 AM

We’ve had a few with just us two. We get a fresh turkey breadt and I make all the usual stuff because we love it and we like the leftovers. When we’ve gone out to eat instead, we miss having leftovers.