Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Recipes (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/)
-   -   What to serve with baked ham? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/recipes-f8/what-serve-baked-ham-t302061.html)

Karamarie 01-07-2019 04:56 AM

Cheesy hashbrowns go well with ham and is a good oven dish that you can put together ahead of time.

grannie cheechee 01-07-2019 04:58 AM

All of you just made me want for baked ham, and I haven't had breakfast yet. Acorn squash, scalloped corn, and a salad does it for me. I make mashed potatoes for DH because he doesn't like squash.

zozee 01-07-2019 05:26 AM

You're a good mom for cooking something that your son would enjoy that's a labor of love for you, since you don't care for ham. We are not ham fans here, either. Occasionally (twice a year, maybe) I get a hankering for it, but I buy just a big slab or two. Since it's salty, I like sweet potatoes with it, but my hubby and son don't like sweet potatoes. They'd prefer yukon gold mashed or herbed baby reds.

I am always up for deviled eggs--not making them, just eating them .LOL

toverly 01-07-2019 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by DJ (Post 8188025)
This sounds good! I assume you drain the corn. Do you drain the pimentos? What color bell pepper, does it matter?
Thanks!

Yes, drain the corn and the pimentoes. I use green bell pepper. That with the red pimentoes, yellow corn and golden cheese makes quite a festive dish.

Jakers1 01-07-2019 05:53 AM

How spiced pears? Drain the liquid from two cans of pear halves into a saucepan add cinnamon hearts to taste. Heat the liquid on low until the hearts melt. Pour the liquid over the pear halves (I use a glass dish), cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain and serve. You can make as many pears as you wish, but there are never any leftovers and the pears go well with ham.

MaggieLou 01-07-2019 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 8187961)
Sweet potatoes and bacon green beans, or acorn squash

I second this idea.

Needles 01-07-2019 07:01 AM

I make either macaroni and cheese or baked SWEET potatoes. Love those sweet taters, no muss, no fuss, add butter and they are wonderful. Also escalloped corn.

QuiltE 01-07-2019 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jakers1 (Post 8188277)
How spiced pears? Drain the liquid from two cans of pear halves into a saucepan add cinnamon hearts to taste. Heat the liquid on low until the hearts melt. Pour the liquid over the pear halves (I use a glass dish), cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain and serve. You can make as many pears as you wish, but there are never any leftovers and the pears go well with ham.

Oh I like the looks of this! Thank you for sharing.
... and the cinnamon hearts are already in the stores for valentines.

While you said, "add to taste" ... what is a good starter quantity,
for some cinnamon snap, but not too heavy?

Please? and Thanks!

trolleystation 01-07-2019 10:50 AM

Cole slaw is always good with Ham. Throw a little crushed pineapple into the slaw mix. Mmmmmmmmmmm

mac 01-07-2019 11:21 AM

My go-to sides for ham:
Mashed potatoes
Green beans
Applesauce (always goes with my ham)