Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: What to serve with baked ham?

Blog Entries

What to serve with baked ham?

I am not a fan of Ham, but I promised my son I would cook on on Tuesday. I am generally a good cook, but I am stumped as to what to serve with it. My son has nixed scalloped spuds, which is fine by me, I do not care for them either.

I am thinking baked spuds, but honestly have no idea what else to serve.

I know the problem is that I really do not care for ham and do not want to think about planning a meal around it.

So I am asking for your help. What are some of your family favourites to serve with ham? It will just be the two of us (luckily I found a nice small bone in ham), so I do not want to be making large side dishes.

I am looking forward to using the ham bone to make green split pea soup which I serve with cheese biscuits.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Smashed red potatoes with gravy and Asparagus spears. That is what we are having for Sunday dinner.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

This is my favorite recipe to serve with ham. It's a corn casserole using yellow rice.

2 cans yellow corn
    1 small pkg Mahatma yellow rice -cooked to pkg instructions
    1/4 c chopped bell pepper
    1/4 c chopped onion
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 small jar diced pimentos
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1 stick butter

Melt butter and place in casserole dish. Mix all ingredients an top with grated cheese. Bake 350 for 15-20 minutes till bubbly.

I double this recipe. Mahatma rice comes either in a small or a large package. When I double it I use the large pkg. I also mix in extra cheddar cheese. It's great even for breakfast the next day.

Power Poster
    I am a big fan of the kale salad mix I get at the Superstore. It is a mixed bag of greens with the salad dressing and seeds and dried cranberries to top. For a hot vegetable, I like sweet potato baked in the oven.

Sweet potatoes and bacon green beans, or acorn squash
    Lisa

It all depends on how fancy-schmancy of a meal your son wants!

Not a fancy meal, but Ham with Macaroni and Cheese is always a winner in my world.
    Then a simple salad or cooked veggie to go with it.

The leftovers of the three hots freeze well into single portion meals, if that is of interest.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Is it a roast/baked ham, or just slices of ham cooked on their own?

If it is a 'joint' of ham that has been simmered/cooked already in a pot, and finished off in the oven with a brown sugar/mustard/clove glaze, then I would just have some roast veg (carrots, parsnips, butternut squash) all chopped to the same size and roasted, and add some gravy. Some dauphinoise potatoes would be perfect also.

Blog Entries
    that corn casserole sounds good!

DJ
    Quote Originally Posted by toverly View Post
    This is my favorite recipe to serve with ham. It's a corn casserole using yellow rice.

2 cans yellow corn
    1 small pkg Mahatma yellow rice -cooked to pkg instructions
    1/4 c chopped bell pepper
    1/4 c chopped onion
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 small jar diced pimentos
    1 cup grated cheddar cheese
    1 stick butter

Melt butter and place in casserole dish. Mix all ingredients an top with grated cheese. Bake 350 for 15-20 minutes till bubbly.

I double this recipe. Mahatma rice comes either in a small or a large package. When I double it I use the large pkg. I also mix in extra cheddar cheese. It's great even for breakfast the next day.
    This sounds good! I assume you drain the corn. Do you drain the pimentos? What color bell pepper, does it matter?
    Thanks!

I just baked a ham last weekend and I made twice baked potatoes to go with it. My mix ins were broccoli and havarti cheese. Our other family favorite to go with ham is Alfredo with linguine.
    I made pea soup this morning with the bone.
    To many quilts, not enough wine.

Janome Horizon Memory Craft 8900QCP, Special Edition
    Vingtage Dressmaker 7000 Heavy Duty
    Husqvarna Viking, Mega Quilter

Blog Entries
    Charley26, your menu sounds delightful. We'll be right over.....

How about 7-layer lettuce salad?

We are pretty traditional here, it would be green beans and mashed potatoes. Then of course the ham bone would be turned into bean soup( not my favorite but DH loves it )

Sides we made with ham, but not all in one meal ;-)

scalloped potatoes
    macaroni and cheese
    squash casserole
    green bean casserole
    collard greens
    ambrosia fruit salad
    asparagus

We like English peas, with or without the small onions and some kind of sweet potato dish with our ham.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

Blog Entries
    don't forget to make a cherry glaze/sauce for the ham.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-2009590

What is it you don't like about ham? Taste, texture, saltiness?

I always use a glaze on ham. I remove all fat & skin & then make a glaze: Brown sugar, a little mustard, apple cider vinegar, stir until the brown sugar is dissolved. Make it real thick like thick gravy. Pour over the ham while still warm, cover with foil & let it set 30 minutes. The glaze removes the saltiness. We often chill the ham before slicing & pour the glaze over it & let it set overnight in the frig..

We eat a lot of ham. I make roasted sweet potatoes to go with ham a lot. Peel chunk, put on foil lined baking sheet with a little olive oil/salt & pepper to taste bake 25-30 mins at 400, turning once. I also make long grain & wild rice to go with ham. I like the Uncle Ben's brand, but any will be good. Another is baked corn. Cole slaw or cranberry sauce as a side dish goes well too.

Southern girl here.......When I make ham in the winter the sides are sweet potatoes cooked anyway you like, green beans, corn casserole,broccoli casserole, pineapple casserole, that kind of thing, Not all in same meal unless its a family reunion feeding a small army, then anything goes.
    But my all time favorite with ham is potato salad, deviled eggs, and fresh butter beans, this is the best summer meal in my world.

How about roasted butternut squash with pears? Peel and seed squash, peel and core pears. Cut into bitesized chunks and put on greased roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Roast until soft - 20-25 min. - at 375 degrees, stirring occasionally. Serve. You can also put them in a food processor to puree before serving. Reheats well.

Blog Entries
    Mac and cheese, baked sweet potatoes,broccoli.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Cheesy hashbrowns go well with ham and is a good oven dish that you can put together ahead of time.

All of you just made me want for baked ham, and I haven't had breakfast yet. Acorn squash, scalloped corn, and a salad does it for me. I make mashed potatoes for DH because he doesn't like squash.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

You're a good mom for cooking something that your son would enjoy that's a labor of love for you, since you don't care for ham. We are not ham fans here, either. Occasionally (twice a year, maybe) I get a hankering for it, but I buy just a big slab or two. Since it's salty, I like sweet potatoes with it, but my hubby and son don't like sweet potatoes. They'd prefer yukon gold mashed or herbed baby reds.

I am always up for deviled eggs--not making them, just eating them .LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    This sounds good! I assume you drain the corn. Do you drain the pimentos? What color bell pepper, does it matter?
    Thanks!
    Yes, drain the corn and the pimentoes. I use green bell pepper. That with the red pimentoes, yellow corn and golden cheese makes quite a festive dish.

How spiced pears? Drain the liquid from two cans of pear halves into a saucepan add cinnamon hearts to taste. Heat the liquid on low until the hearts melt. Pour the liquid over the pear halves (I use a glass dish), cover and refrigerate overnight. Drain and serve. You can make as many pears as you wish, but there are never any leftovers and the pears go well with ham.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast