Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Soup

Soup

It was 0 degrees when I got up this morning so I put a huge roaster of beef barley soup in the oven. Added cabbage with the other stuff & it smells so heavenly, I just want to jump in there !!

I love making chicken soup from scratch. A big bowl with some lovely biscuits on a cold night. Oh boy!
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I'm with you. Nobody else in my family loves soup like I do, so I seldom make a big pot, but when I do I certainly enjoy it.

I have discovered that ox tail soup in the InstaPot is Heavenly.

Of course, I had to put my foot in my mouth first. The butcher told me the price for ox tail, which was astronomical and I had to say, quite loudly..."Isn't that a lot for a piece of tail?!" Got quite a few chuckles from the people standing nearby at the market.

Anyhow...enjoy your soup!

Watson

Soup is heavenly! I could eat it most nights :-)

I love soups in the winter! Yours sounds delicious!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

tranum, I love barley and cabbage in soup! I'll be right over

At the end of the week, I like to saute some garlic and onion, and put in the crockpot with all of my leftover vegetables from the week, and whatever meat I happen to have on hand (or pressed tofu). If I have any, I will also add beans, rice, pasta, and/or barley. Pretty muc h anything that is sitting in the fridge. I fill up the breadmaker and set the timer for suppertime. Not only do I almost always get a delicious soup, but I use up food that might otherwise go to waste, and I have a day where I don't really have to worry about making supper.

My family calls it "Peasant Soup". We used to call it "Scrappy Soup" because, much like my scrappy quilts, I make it out of leftovers, lol. Then, one day, my mother (who does not eat leftovers) refused to even taste it, saying she was "not some kind of peasant who could not afford real food".

Now I'm craving soup and fresh bread.

I think we've all got soup on the mind with this cold weather making it's way across country.. Last week while in California my sister-in-law made a wonderful soup called Brazilian Shrimp Soup - it was very easy and incredibly tasty! Served up with a nice ceasar salad and garlic toast.. mmmmm...mmmmmm.. good!

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...an-shrimp-soup
    Christine
    In my dream world.... fabric is free and quilting makes you thin!

Love my crock pot potato soup! Rich, warm and goes well with fresh bread! Perfect for a cold day in January or February or.......

I make a lot of soup! I make at least one 12 quart pot of soup each week. I freeze it in quart size zip lock bags and freeze them flat on a cookie sheet so they will stack nicely in the freezer. I even make cream soups up to the point of adding the flour or corn starch and milk. I freeze that in smaller bags and add the thickener and milk when I serve it. We love soup as our meal. Lots of vegetables and not a lot of meat.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog View Post
    I make a lot of soup! I make at least one 12 quart pot of soup each week. I freeze it in quart size zip lock bags and freeze them flat on a cookie sheet so they will stack nicely in the freezer. I even make cream soups up to the point of adding the flour or corn starch and milk. I freeze that in smaller bags and add the thickener and milk when I serve it. We love soup as our meal. Lots of vegetables and not a lot of meat.
    so nourishing for us too !

Quote Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
    tranum, I love barley and cabbage in soup! I'll be right over
    I’ll set another place !

Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    I’ll set another place !
    It's a date!

I love making and eating soup!

I will often make some from the vegetables that are past their best and often wonder why shrivelled carrots, curly celery etc make the tastiest soups - oh and don’t forget a broccoli stem. A little ginger grated in can add a bit of interest too.

Blog Entries
    I have soup cooking all winter. Today it is chicken. I especially love bean soups. They are so good when it is this cold and snow covered outside.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

I tend to eat soups mostly during the winter months. I make a big pot of the soups I like the most such as glorified potato soup, chili, chicken & noodles and squash soup. I make a gallon of each and put them in 1/2 gallon freezer containers and stack them up in the freezer till I need one. In fact, need to pull one out today as I just finished up some glorified potato soup. In my soups I try to use everything I can from the garden. In my chili I use my home-made salsa for the tomato part.......yes, its spicey but its usually just me eating it and boy is it good. I also found out that using ground pork instead of ground beef is good too and cheaper with beef prices as they are.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Today is beef stew day. The weather outside is frightful and the stew is sooooo delightful.

Haven't heard oxtail soup in years and back then it was a cheap piece of meat too. Same goes for liver, it was cheap but not anymore.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Blog Entries
    I make a lot of soup in the winter. The shrimp soup sounds delicious. We were just talking about soup the other day. I used to make peasant soup when the kids were home. They liked to call it garbage soup and loved it. I would keep a zip lock bag in the freezer and dump leftovers in it. Just a little bit of everything, even lettuce salad. When there was enough in the bag I would dump it in a pot and add either chicken or beef broth. Best soup ever. I haven't made it in years.

I made a meatless albondigas soup the other day. It was so easy, but super tasty:

1/2 large can of La Victoria Red enchilada sauce
    water
    1 T Better than boullion vegetable broth
    onions, chopped
    celery, chopped
    1/2 C plum tomatoes, chopped
    Gardein meatless meatballs
    handfull of black olives

Put everything in a pot and simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve with warm tortillas.

~ C

First thing this morning I made a pot of Chickpea Stew in my InstaPot. I also throw in assorted veggies from my fridge so they don't get wasted.

Well, just could not resist responding to this soup line. Yesterday, (Sunday) my son & daughter came and brought KFC for dinner with all the fixings. My favorite and it was so good. Well, the leftovers were left with me. Even though I like cold chicken I knew I would eat it all. This week being so bitterly cold I thought I would try to make a Recycled KFC Chicken Chowder. First I decrusted and deboned the chicken. Put a quart of chicken bone broth in my soup pot and brought it to a simmer. Took my skillet and put in some ghee and a little oil, I took 3 potatoes amd 3 carrots, scrubbed them chopped them up with an onion and cooked in the skillet for a bit. Into the pot they went. What about the mashed potatoes and gravy you say. Well into the pot they went, stirred and simmered until smooth I also had a small bowl of fresh green beans I had cooked the other day and in they went. I wanted it thicker more like a chowder so I made a rouh with flour and butter, cooked till nice and brown and the flour taste was gone and into the pot simmered just a bit longer for the flavors to all mingle. wow a brand new dish. Had a bowl for lunch and some still left for supper. ( I also have a few biscuits I could warm up or toast them up. Try it sometime when you have leftover KFC .
    Patsy

oops some mistakes in there. my daughter-in-law and some misspelled words
    Patsy

Quote Originally Posted by Watson View Post
    I have discovered that ox tail soup in the InstaPot is Heavenly.

Of course, I had to put my foot in my mouth first. The butcher told me the price for ox tail, which was astronomical and I had to say, quite loudly..."Isn't that a lot for a piece of tail?!" Got quite a few chuckles from the people standing nearby at the market.

Anyhow...enjoy your soup!

Watson

your foot tickled my funny bone - out loud!
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast