Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33

Thread: Recipe for Healthy Dog Treats!

  1. #1
    Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,172

    Recipe for Healthy Dog Treats!

    My Dogs mean everything to me and after reading about certain dog treats linked to kidney failure, I dumped the whole cookie jar of Doggie treats into the trash!
    I decided to make my own healthy treats and thought you might like to make them for your dogs too! My Indy and Bella love salmon so here you go:

    Salmon Dog Treats!
    1-14.75 ounce can pink salmon; drained
    3 eggs
    1/2 cup sesame seeds; ground
    1/2 cup flax seed; ground
    1 cup potato flakes
    1 cup whole wheat flour

    Dump everything into a food processor and mix until all ingredients are mixed and dough forms.
    Put dough on lightly floured board and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick.
    Cut with whatever size cookie cutters you want, my dogs are small so I use small cutters. Place on on lined cookie sheets and bake for 20-25 minutes in a 375 degree oven.
    Cool and store in covered container.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kansas City Mo
    Posts
    1,601
    Blog Entries
    1
    thank you for posting I am always looking for things to keep my little girl healthy

  3. #3
    Super Member Moonglow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    6,405
    Thank you for the recipe. It will be a healthy treat for my very much loved dog.

  4. #4
    Junior Member DianaSwi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    144
    how many small treats did this recipe make..think it could be doubled?

  5. #5
    Super Member callen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Timmins, Ont. Canada
    Posts
    4,677
    Tks for sharing. Many store bought treats have way too much "stuff" that you don't want your beloved pet to have.
    It's good to get some good recipes for home made ones.
    Dance like no one is watching

  6. #6
    Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSwi View Post
    how many small treats did this recipe make..think it could be doubled?
    This recipe makes about 100 small treats. You can double the recipe, but it depends how big your food processor is.

  7. #7
    Super Member cherrio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!
    Posts
    2,495
    thank you! and thanks from Bubba, Bella, Lucy and Maddie!!
    You never stand taller than when you stoop to help a child.

  8. #8
    Super Member milikaa1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Running Springs, Ca
    Posts
    1,568
    Cool, thanks, I will make them today, I have salmon I will never use so this is perfect.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Nancy Ingham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Shipshewana, IN
    Posts
    785
    Blog Entries
    3
    Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe with all of us dog lovers. I am sure Bella thanks you as well!
    You can choose to live your live as though nothing is a miracle; or as though everything is a miracle!

  10. #10
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    6,190
    Be careful if you're using store canned salmon, it has alot of salt in it for your furry friends. Could be a problem for their kidneys. Just a thought, those look yummy!

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    central Illinois
    Posts
    1,484
    Blog Entries
    1
    My pupper thanks you, as I will be making these for him.
    sew1

  12. #12
    Senior Member Quilted Dogs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Square NY
    Posts
    865
    This is great, can't wait to try it for my two furry friends, bet the cat would like it too
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...C68D6DB95A.png
    Quilting With A Friend Will Keep You In Stitches

  13. #13
    Senior Member Gramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Lake City, FL
    Posts
    401
    Do these harden or stay a little spft? My little toy poodle had 14 teeth pulled & 26 roots!!!!! Can't really eat hard things! He only weighs 4.3 lbs. is so sweet!
    BB

  14. #14
    Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Gramma View Post
    Do these harden or stay a little spft? My little toy poodle had 14 teeth pulled & 26 roots!!!!! Can't really eat hard things! He only weighs 4.3 lbs. is so sweet!
    Poor sweet baby, these are quite chewable, and in a sealed container they remain so. You can bake them alittle less to ensure softness. For those how want a crunchier treat back longer.

  15. #15
    Junior Member Busy Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    105
    Thanks so much. Will try this soon for my Fritz!
    Have a Blessed Day

  16. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Michigan Thumb
    Posts
    1,355
    Am going out today and will get the potato flakes to make them. I have some nutritional yeast, I will put in a couple tablespoons of that, flea protection. My 2 labs, Ben & Barbie, will love the homemade treats with no chemicals.
    Thanks for posting

  17. #17
    Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
    Am going out today and will get the potato flakes to make them. I have some nutritional yeast, I will put in a couple tablespoons of that, flea protection. My 2 labs, Ben & Barbie, will love the homemade treats with no chemicals.
    Thanks for posting
    That's a great idea! You can also add chopped fresh parsley for breath, energy, and good for the kidneys!

  18. #18
    Super Member RugosaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ohio, just east of Toledo
    Posts
    1,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Quilted Dogs View Post
    This is great, can't wait to try it for my two furry friends, bet the cat would like it too
    My 13 yr old basenji had all but 3 teeth puled a few months ago, and I mentioned to the vet that now I'd have to give her canned food, or at least water softened dry

    He said nope, you'd be surprised at w how well they do with dry kibble.
    He was right, she just wolfs it right down!


    I have a few with wheat allergies, so this is not for them.
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

    It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

  19. #19
    Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by RugosaB View Post
    My 13 yr old basenji had all but 3 teeth puled a few months ago, and I mentioned to the vet that now I'd have to give her canned food, or at least water softened dry

    He said nope, you'd be surprised at w how well they do with dry kibble.
    He was right, she just wolfs it right down!


    I have a few with wheat allergies, so this is not for them.
    You can substitute the wheat flour with brown rice flour if you want.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia in the hot dry part
    Posts
    45

    Question from an Aussie

    I'm an Aussie, are potato flakes the same as that dried potato mix in a packet? I can't say I've seen them in the supermarket, hoping another Aussie can set me straight. Could I substitute mashed potato I wonder if we can't get them out here........

    Thanks for posting the dog treats recipe, I am sure my cat Orlando will love it too. I cook all the food for my dogs, and am always looking for a home cooked dog food recipe. I cook minced beef, grated veges, rice, some vegemite with some water. They would rather eat the same roast dinners as us though.

    Anyone else cook up their dog food?
    Anna

  21. #21
    Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna from Oz View Post
    I'm an Aussie, are potato flakes the same as that dried potato mix in a packet? I can't say I've seen them in the supermarket, hoping another Aussie can set me straight. Could I substitute mashed potato I wonder if we can't get them out here........

    Thanks for posting the dog treats recipe, I am sure my cat Orlando will love it too. I cook all the food for my dogs, and am always looking for a home cooked dog food recipe. I cook minced beef, grated veges, rice, some vegemite with some water. They would rather eat the same roast dinners as us though.

    Anyone else cook up their dog food?
    Anna
    Anna, Yes they are the flakes that come in boxes, bags and packets. If you can't find them and if you have a health food store you can use potato flour, brown or white rice flour. You can also order on line. Adding mashed potato could work it will change the consistency so rolling might be tricky.
    That's great you cook for for your dog, I bet they love it, mine eat a lot of chicken and carrots.
    I'll be posting more recipes for our doggies soon.

  22. #22
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Bernardino
    Posts
    4,298
    Thanks for Sharing!!

  23. #23
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,327
    Cool recipe...thanks. Think I might try grated potato (I'm in Aus. too and can't remember seeing potato flakes, other than that instant mash stuff that I wouldn't eat). I have some ground millet and some quinoa flour...will have to research to see if dogs are able to eat it....It is supposed to be high in protein and good for people but will have to do some checking first.

  24. #24
    Super Member Damsel in DisDress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,172
    Quote Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
    Cool recipe...thanks. Think I might try grated potato (I'm in Aus. too and can't remember seeing potato flakes, other than that instant mash stuff that I wouldn't eat). I have some ground millet and some quinoa flour...will have to research to see if dogs are able to eat it....It is supposed to be high in protein and good for people but will have to do some checking first.
    Thank You~Sweet potato is good for dogs too, and I bet the quinoa flour would be great, high in protein!

  25. #25
    Super Member RugosaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ohio, just east of Toledo
    Posts
    1,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Damsel in DisDress View Post
    You can substitute the wheat flour with brown rice flour if you want.
    Thank you, I'm kind of embarrassed I didn't think of that!
    You know that feeling when you've finished all your quilting projects and your studio is perfectly clean???? Me neither.

    It's not how fast you sew, it's how well you sew fast! Wait, I think that's supposed to be MOW!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.