Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Rhubarb questions

Blog Entries
    Knott's Berry Farm restaurant makes an old fashioned dessert that comes with the Fried Chicken Dinner in Buena Park, CA. It apples and rhubarb cooked together with sugar to taste, oh my gosh it's good.
    Mother yourself just as you would your own children, you will be surprised how much better you feel...Debbie Marie

Blog Entries
    I too, can't believe all the rules for growing rhubarb. Mine has been in the same spot for 40+ years, I pull the stalks when they are tall enough to use. I pull all of them. I usually harvest it 2-3 times a season. Depends upon weather, rain etc. The only rule I follow is that you can pick it when ever you want but never in the months that has an "R" it. Don't know why, but by Sept. I'm full of rhubarb. And I harvest every stalk when I pick it. I never leave a stalk.

the reality is that rhubarb leaves are poison to 20% of the population, but the only way to find out was when you dropped dead ( its awful when it happenes to you, you know waking up dead is such a hassle!!!) So the powers that be decieded that it would say no to eating rhurbarb leaves

If your rhubarb isn't doing well try fertilizing it with tree spikes. I did and I couldn't believe the difference. Growing like gangbusters now.

I've always cut my rhubarb stalks, and my mom cut hers also. Have always had good harvests, many times more than what I wanted or needed. I too never knew there were so many rhubarb rules. It always grows like wildfire around here!

Only thing I do for my rhubarb is water and occasional fertilizer. I usually get at least three pickings between June and the end of September. I compost the leaves, the only thing we never did growing up was to give the leaves to the chickens like we did with everything else.

I make Strawberry Rhubarb jam. My dad used to make wine with it which is really good.

Blog Entries
    Just thought I'd let you know I have a plant in my yard and it has grown just fine. I leave in Seal Beach.

Strawberry/rhubarb jam, that is the thing.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    A shovel full of well-rotted cow manure early in the spring around your rhubarb plant will make it grow like CRAZY!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I guess I just have to different, I always cut my stalks leaving about an inch above the ground. I have been doing it that way for the last 40 some years and haven't killed my plants yet. My Ruby Red always comes on first in the spring. I do remove the seed heads to extend the cutting season.
    i love growing rhubarb, love letting it bloom...that flower stalk is gorgeous. have been collecting rhubarb recipes for decades. do NOT like rhubarb pie. but that is the ONLY thing i don't like in the world of rhubarb recipes.

i have read in garden books and told by old time gardeners that a young plant will do better & develope a stronger root bulb if just left to grow for the first couple of years, but i can never wait that long.

i pull and twist to harvest stalks, if it works great if not i cut below ground like harvesting asperagas. i also have read not to compost the leaves, but do, have not had any problems using the resultant mulch. i know they are toxic. but, whatever...doesn't seem to bother the worms.

have fun, enjoy - lucky you
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2