Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Soup For Breakfast >
  • Soup For Breakfast

• Soup For Breakfast

Old 01-03-2020, 08:29 AM

Default Soup For Breakfast

Today I made a wonderful soup for breakfast. I like hot soup on a cold, winter's morning. It warmed me up, hydrated my body, low in calories and was very satisfying. I started back on WW, so it's easy on the points. Here's what I made today.

No-Chicken Broth
    2 t chopped ginger root
    pinch of turmeric
    1/2 C cubed sprouted tofu, super firm
    handful of finely chopped kale
    3 T chopped cilantro
    1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
    1/4 onion thinly sliced
    1/2 egg, scrambled in a t of vegetable oil
    splash of soy sauce
    swirl of siriracha

Served in a beautiful, Japanese bowl with chopsticks and ceramic, soup spoon. Also, served a sliced pear on the side.

You could change this around in endless ways. I also like other soups for breakfast such as bean, potato/kale, won ton and spicy tomato. Do you like soup for breakfast? If so, please share your ideas and recipes.

Happy New Year!

~ C
    Old 01-03-2020, 09:01 AM

Is "no Chicken" broth a broth of some kind? if there is no broth, where is the soup part.
    Everything else sounds great from a stir fry stand point.....just wondering
    Old 01-03-2020, 09:01 AM
    Power Poster

I love soup! All those nutritious ingredients in a warm broth, wonderful!
    Old 01-03-2020, 10:16 AM
    Power Poster

I love soup in the winter too. My sister just gave me a recipe for black bean soup i am anxious to try. Your soup sounds good but a little spicy for breakfast. I would n't mind making it for lunch.
    Old 01-03-2020, 11:59 AM

You're recipe sound delicious and simple. I am an oatmeal eater for breakfast, but I would eat soup at any point in the day after that :-)
    Old 01-03-2020, 04:02 PM

Was just talking to the hubby the other day of one of my missed carb foods, Congee, or rice soup for breakfast. It's basically just thinly cooked rice and then you have bits of things to top it with, usually they tend toward savory, like smoked eggs, or chopped green onion/chives, maybe some fried wonton strips for texture.

Subject came up because we went to the international district on New Year's Eve, hubby decided he wanted to eat a duck. Some sort of keto thing I guess... don't know, but I do know where to get stuff so we went to KauKau, a Seattle institution.
    http://kaukaubbq.com/
    We parked up by House of Hong, my favorite Dim Sum place -- another casualty of my low carb life style
    http://houseofhongseattle.com/

Dim sum serves different dishes throughout the day -- starting with the congee!
    Old 01-03-2020, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
    Is "no Chicken" broth a broth of some kind? if there is no broth, where is the soup part.
    Everything else sounds great from a stir fry stand point.....just wondering
    No-Chicken broth is made by Imagine Foods and comes in a shelf-storage carton. It is a vegan product and tastes remarkably like chicken broth. You can make your own "no-chicken" broth by making a vegetable broth and adding a little nutritional yeast and salt.

~ C
    Old 01-03-2020, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom
    Was just talking to the hubby the other day of one of my missed carb foods, Congee, or rice soup for breakfast. It's basically just thinly cooked rice and then you have bits of things to top it with, usually they tend toward savory, like smoked eggs, or chopped green onion/chives, maybe some fried wonton strips for texture.

Subject came up because we went to the international district on New Year's Eve, hubby decided he wanted to eat a duck. Some sort of keto thing I guess... don't know, but I do know where to get stuff so we went to KauKau, a Seattle institution.
    http://kaukaubbq.com/
    We parked up by House of Hong, my favorite Dim Sum place -- another casualty of my low carb life style
    http://houseofhongseattle.com/

Dim sum serves different dishes throughout the day -- starting with the congee!
    Oh, I love Congee! You can do a lot with just a little left over rice. We ate that when we lived in Hawaii. Great hangover food.

~ C
    Old 01-03-2020, 04:10 PM

I'm on a soup for breakfast kick. Tomorrow morning it's bean and lentil soup.

~ C