Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
sphagetti squash >

sphagetti squash

sphagetti squash

Old 07-17-2020, 05:43 AM

Default sphagetti squash

oh my, I being high risk, am not shopping so I sent my brother-in-law out for squash...I requested a "green" one as he is neither a chief nor a farmer. He came back with a huge yellow sphagetti squash...oh my, what to do with it...after finding out how to cook it….I did...cut in half, drizzles with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, baked a 350 for 45 minutes and shredded. then what? Took a few precooked Italian meatballs and some prego spagetti sauce...and it was..... Good!. Still had some squash and sauce left so added a bit of browned hamburger and chunks of cheese and my goodness...that was better! So I think I will request the yellow sphagetti squash again....Now what to do with the very large green squash he just back from his recent shopping trip. I think I could feed the whole neighborhood with it. Tee Hee...learning about the surprises of having someone else do your grocery shopping for you
Old 07-17-2020, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Spaghetti squash is a nice change from regular noodles and healthier. As for the large green squash, if it is a large zucchini, I recommend zucchini bread or cookies. If it is a regular green squash, they are nice baked in the oven as a vegetable.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:07 AM

There are many things that could count as a large green squash -- zucchini or similar ones like marrow, or something more like a kabocha which is orange fleshed and used as pumpkin.

Many ways to deal with one of those large squashes, if it is maybe a bit past it's prime and you don't like the texture of the middle, just scoop it out and use the shell as something to fill with stuffing!

My dad was a fan of rounds of zucchini breaded and fried. I do a lot of simple boiled squash with a bit of grated parmesan for flavor.
Old 07-17-2020, 01:08 PM

Love spaghetti squash. It has totally replaced my pasta. (I'm on WW) I have discovered that there is no need for the oil, the water in the squash is enough.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:00 PM

well...the large green squash is not zucchini...I think it is a kobacha. Umm...perhaps I will roast it, eat part as a vegetable and maybe use the rest for squash muffins....is there such a thing...use a pumpkin muffin recipe maybe....
Old 07-17-2020, 03:23 PM

If it is orange inside, you can use it in any recipe that uses pumpkin or butternut and most that use sweet potato. Easiest way to cook it is if you manage to chop it apart, hollow out the seeds poke a fork inside a few times and then I'd start by microwaving on high for 5-7 minutes. No water! You may want to cover it with plastic wrap. Scrape out the flesh when it is soft.

You can also bake in a regular oven, or cube and boil.

The Vegan Vietnamese place I go to makes an excellent soup with it, not creamy. I looked for a recipe but didn't find one -- did see a picture that looked close.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:15 AM

DH loves spaghetti squash. We started out baking like you did. I scrape out the baked squash and add butter and parmesan. I didn't like the texture, so I tried chopping the squash and that worked! I also made my Spinach Lasagne, replacing the spinach with squash--OMG-over the top!
Spinach Lasagne-No Pasta
Old 07-24-2020, 04:44 AM

My sister cooks up spaghetti squash a couple times a year is all. Its not bad but won't take the place of real spaghetti in my opinion. Anyway, my sister's garden is hard as rock so she's been throwing everything you would throw into a compost (almost) into it and having her lawn guy till it in a couple times a year. Anyway, to her surprise this year she's getting a couple mystery plants growing in her garden as she's not using it all. Some are welcomed though such as her marigolds, asphagus, dill and can't remember the other flower's name but coming up in all colors. And of course she always gets at least 1 tomato plant coming up, usually a cherry tomato. Anyway, this year a couple squash plants popped up so we assumed they were her pie pumpkin plants. !!!!!!!! Not the butternut squash either that I usually grow or the zucchini. Yes, you named it, its the spaghetti squash which she must have thrown everything out into the garden including the seeds if there are any inside as I haven't ever cut up one myself. Anyway, so far we've counted 20-30 little squashes growing and wondering what we'll do with them all. Been talking with all my neighbors to see if they like the squash. Hopefully my sister has learned a valuable lesson not to throw just everything out into her garden now...................probably not.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-24-2020 at 02:12 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-24-2020, 06:12 AM

You are so right Snooze, it will never convince anyone it's pasta. I like to tell friends, it's not pasta and it will never be pasta. What it is, is squash. Mild squash that can be seasoned like pasta with sauce. Most people are okay with it then. It easily grows from the seeds. We had a fine crop growing with at least a dozen on the vine. They were the size of the store squash but still green. Almost over night, little tiny worms about half an inch long claimed every single one of them. Don't know what they were.