Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • Stabilized Whipped Cream >
  • Stabilized Whipped Cream

• Stabilized Whipped Cream

Old 05-31-2018, 04:59 AM

Default Stabilized Whipped Cream

There was a lot of discussion recently about substituting "real" whipped cream in recipes that call for Cool Whip. I am not a fan of Cool Whip, much prefer the real deal. so, according to Irma Rombauer (author of Joy of Cooking), gelatin added to whipped cream gives it a firmer texture that keeps the cream from weeping. Here is her recipe for Stabilized whipped cream.
    Pour into a heatproof cup:
    1 Tbsp cold water
    Sprinkle with:
    1/2 tsp unflavored gelatin
    Let the gelatin soften, without stirring it, for 5 minutes. Place the cup in a pan of simmering water until the gelatin is melted and liquid is clear. Let cool to room temperature. Prepare Whipped Cream* adding the cooled (but not cold) gelatin mixture while while you beat as the cream begins to thicken.

* Joy of Cooking Whipped Cream (makes 2 -2& 1/2 cups)
    In a Chilled bowl and using Chilled beaters, Beat until thickened:
    1 cup cold heavy cream, sweetened as desired with granulated sugar (2 tsp - 2 Tbsp) Or sifted powdered sugar (1 - 4 Tbsp).
    Optional - add 1/2 tsp of pure vanilla

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-31-2018 at 07:12 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Old 05-31-2018, 06:28 AM

Thanks! At my house whipped cream doesn't last long enough to need stabilization, lol!!

I had a neighbor who worked in the Cool Whip factory, he said if you saw how it was made, you would never eat it or give it to your family.
    Old 05-31-2018, 11:25 AM
    Power Poster

yuck. years ago I had peeled back the plastic on some cinnamon buns and right underneath the paper label was a dead moth!! i use to go to drive-in's to watch movies and one had a factory right next door. the building had windows open near the roof. no screens. then I knew how that moth got there!
    Old 06-01-2018, 05:17 AM

So happy to see this. I was the one who asked for this recipe. I would much rather use natural than factory made. My niece worked in a cookie factory. She said she would never eat another factory made cookie.
    Old 06-01-2018, 05:28 AM
    Power Poster

There used to be a show in called "how it's made" or something similar and when they showed how anything is made, it is kind of a turnoff.
    Old 06-01-2018, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by maviskw
    So happy to see this. I was the one who asked for this recipe. I would much rather use natural than factory made. My niece worked in a cookie factory. She said she would never eat another factory made cookie.
    i am sure if we knew/saw how all our "Store bought" food is made we would be a bit turned off, but are we willing to go back to all homemade/home grown or remain in the industrial environment we have created.
    Old 06-01-2018, 07:49 AM

I stabilize whipped cream by using a TBS of instant pudding powder to one cup of cream. I like the white chocolate flavour as it doesn't add any flavour to the whipped cream. Vanilla can be used as well but it adds a bit of "pudding" flavour. What I do is whip the cream until its doubled in bulk but not firm. Sprinkle on the pudding powder while continuing to whip. It firms up really fast and will stay firm. It does add a bit of sweetness, but not enough to be off-putting.
    Old 06-01-2018, 07:55 AM
    mac

What great ideas for whipped cream. This means that I can make those desserts ahead of time and not worry about the whipped cream getting soggy. Yeah!
    Old 06-01-2018, 10:51 AM

KitchenAid Lady on QVC 23 yrs. here, I use the instant pudding method belfrybat described. Will stand up to even hot studio lights.
    Old 06-01-2018, 03:02 PM

I could never get that "how it's made" show here (maybe I have the wrong dish service) but my mom could get it in Ohio and I LOVED watching how different things were made. Really interesting and sometimes I understood why things cost so much. Was a fun show to watch.