Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Stabilized Whipped Cream >

Stabilized Whipped Cream

Stabilized Whipped Cream

Old 06-01-2018, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
There used to be a show in called "how it's made" or something similar and when they showed how anything is made, it is kind of a turnoff.
I loved that show. You are right about some of things they made food wise. I don't eat deli meat anymore........lol
Old 06-02-2018, 01:10 AM

Does anyone know how long the whipped cream will hold up in a recipe that is refrigerated? One like banana pudding or Chocolate Eclair Cake that uses cookies layered with cool whip and pudding mixed together? One day? two days?
Really like the idea of not using cool whip and there are a lot of recipes out there that do.
Old 06-02-2018, 11:02 AM

Really, guys? Have you ever read the ingredients on a container of ice cream? Any brand, any flavor. If you do, you might say you would never eat ice cream again. There's no getting away from food additivies. Here's a review of Dairy Queen soft serve: here is just something that looks entirely perfect about a swirled Dairy Queen cone. It is almost too pretty to eat. Ironically we would be better off if we did not eat it. Dairy Queen soft-serve ice cream contains a laundry list of synthetic and dangerous ingredients.

Among these are ice crystals, high fructose corn syrup, refined salt, stabilizers, emulsifiers, carrageenan, mono and diglycerides and calcium sulfate, a common industrial chemical. Commercial sources of calcium sulfate found in soft serve ice cream are derived from cows or pigs, or manufactured synthetically.

When it is all spelled out on paper, Dairy Queen soft serve is about as far from real food as you can get.

For me, I don't read labels any more....they scare me!!
Old 06-02-2018, 11:40 AM
mac

llong0233, one of my favorite things to get at McD's is their ice cream cones. Not sure I want to get them anymore...
Old 06-02-2018, 05:12 PM

I've eaten at DQ once in two years. I became violently ill and my tummy isn't right yet and it's been at least a month. Never again!

Has anyone used the stabilized whipped cream in a recipe and held it overnight? I have to make dessert for 60 in two weeks and Id like to use the real stuff. I will be cooking one evening and serving at noon the next day.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:41 AM

the problem (for me) with soft-serve ice cream is, how often do they clean the machines? esp. a place where the ss is just one of the menu items, not the main attraction.

At least ice cream and soft serve are not made with shortening, like Cool Whip is.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
i am sure if we knew/saw how all our "Store bought" food is made we would be a bit turned off, but are we willing to go back to all homemade/home grown or remain in the industrial environment we have created.
Yes, you would be surprised at how many people really are going back to homemade. There are several places in Wisconsin where pizza is sold. They grow their own wheat and grind it as needed for the crust. Then they add all their own home-grown vegetables and add cheese from the factory just down the road. You'd be surprised at how much more delicious this can be. The pizzas are cooked in their own wood-fired or electric ovens.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:54 PM

Irish,

There are a few methods of stabilizing whipped cream, the one using gelatin will hold for a day or two. Using cornstarch, basically adding pudding powder (which is sugar and cornstarch plus flavourings), will hold for a few hours or overnight.

Did you know you can also freeze left over whipped cream? Put dollops on a waxed or parchment paper lined baking sheet and freeze. You will want to use within a week as it will dry out and absorb odours in the freezer. When needed just put the frozen dollop on the dessert and it will quickly thaw.

I hear what you said about DQ. It was many years ago that I got violently ill after eating at McDonalds. I have never been back. I have not eaten DQ treats, except the Mister Misty (freezies) since I was a young child, I always got a tummy ache.

I do not worry about Carrageenan though. It is seaweed and has been used for hundreds of years by peoples around the world as a thickener.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy224 View Post
Does anyone know how long the whipped cream will hold up in a recipe that is refrigerated? One like banana pudding or Chocolate Eclair Cake that uses cookies layered with cool whip and pudding mixed together? One day? two days?
Really like the idea of not using cool whip and there are a lot of recipes out there that do.
I recently substituted stabilized whipped cream in a coconut cream pie recipe that called for mixing cool whip with vanilla pudding. I also used the stabilized whipped cream, with a sprinkle of toasted coconut, for the pie topping. It took hubby and I four days to finish that pie and held up beautifully. I beat the whipped cream quite stiff.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nita View Post
I recently substituted stabilized whipped cream in a coconut cream pie recipe that called for mixing cool whip with vanilla pudding. I also used the stabilized whipped cream, with a sprinkle of toasted coconut, for the pie topping. It took hubby and I four days to finish that pie and held up beautifully. I beat the whipped cream quite stiff.
Thank you, Nita! for sharing your experience. Next dessert I have to make will be with the stabilized whipped cream.