Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stuffed Green Peppers

Power Poster

Stuffed Green Peppers

Is it necessary to blanch/boil the green peppers before stuffing them?

(The stuffing will be rice, hamburger, onion, tomatoes, and seasonings.)

Power Poster
    Depends on how long you have to cook them. I don’t blanch mine but put them in the oven in a covered casserole dish until tender.

I blanch mine for a few minutes before I stuff them, it seems to make them tender
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

If I'm cooking them in a crockpot for hours I don't blanch mine. But if I'm doing it the normal way in an oven, yes I definitely blanch them. Otherwise they can be bitter and my DH doesn't like that--- as I found out the hard way, lol!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

Blog Entries
    My husband always made those and I would eat the stuffing and leave him the pepper!

No blanching when I have stuffed peppers.
    They cook just fine on their own, so I don't see why you would need/want to blanche them.
    Besides, they are quite edible raw, so not like you have the concern that they must be cooked.

Honestly, I would use the other colours of peppers ...
    .... much nicer tasting than the greens, and prettier too.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I don't blanch the peppers either. They cook fine in the oven. I do pre-cook the rice for the stuffing mixture though and use red peppers for them.

Yum!

Power Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    No blanching when I have stuffed peppers.
    They cook just fine on their own, so I don't see why you would need/want to blanche them.
    Besides, they are quite edible raw, so not like you have the concern that they must be cooked.

Honestly, I would use the other colours of peppers ...
    .... much nicer tasting than the greens, and prettier too.
    Because it's green peppers that DH brought in from the garden.

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    Because it's green peppers that DH brought in from the garden.
    ha!
    ...... greens work, but whether raw or cooked, they never taste as nice IMHO as the coloured ones.
    Almost bitter whereas the coloured ones have that nice sweetness to them.

Enjoy your stuffed peppers!
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

I never have, but I do cook mine for quite a while.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I have never tasted a bitter green pepper. I did blanch last time I made them. I am thinking next time I would just cut them up and cook all the ingredients together. I don't know if it will taste the same. Will probably be this fall.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I never blanch mine and they cook just fine in the oven,,Enjoy you're Stuff Peppers Blessings

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I have never tasted a bitter green pepper. I did blanch last time I made them. I am thinking next time I would just cut them up and cook all the ingredients together. I don't know if it will taste the same. Will probably be this fall.
    Did that last year - Stuffed Green Pepper Casserole - tastes like Stuffed Peppers. Either chop up the peppers or layer bigger slices with the regular filling. Cover tightly and bake, remove cover last few minutes and top with cheese... Yummy! My favourite aunt used to make Stuffed Peppers and it made me think of her.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

I don't blanche mine but then I don't mind them a little crunchy. I even cheat on the filling, Zatarain's has a frozen rice entree in the grocery store that I thaw and use to stuff. It has better flavor than mine and lots of sausage. After I add cheese of course. None the wiser.

Power Poster
    I put cayenne in the "stuffing" instead of chili powder. Fortunately, I did not put that much in the batch!

It was tasting "hotter than usual" - and it ended up being edible - but I did not realize that I had used cayenne instead of chili powder until I was clearing my counter.

Blog Entries
    I have never blanched mine, I use onions, tomato sauce, seasoning and hamburger meat, no rice when I stuff mine, place them in an 8x10 pan with water in the bottom of the pan and cook them for an hour or so. I love raw green peppers sliced and salted, also in a salad. I have never tried chili powder in the mix will have to try that and also SuzyQ's casserole.

Stuffed peppers

I have made them with red peppers and use tomato soup for the sauce. We liked them.

I'm not crazy about green peppers but love red and banana peppers. However, they are the one food that doesn't agree with me. But I can't resist them.

Blog Entries
    I don't blanch. I cook the rice, meat, onions and garlic with tomatoes in a big pan. Add grated cheese and stuff the raw peppers. Microwave them as I need them they come out great. But I don't like the peppers over cooked.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

I bought them from Costco in their ready to cook foods. Red, yellow, and orange. They are sooo good! I grew up on the green ones and have never liked them!

I never blanched them, learned from my mom-she never did either. She put them in a soup kettle covered with tomato sauce and saurkraut. let it simmer all day. i use a crockpot for mine

Stuffed Green Peppers bring back great memories of when my husband and I were first married and living on a student budget. Stuffed peppers were part of the meal rotation on our $10/week grocery budget. We call them Neverending Stuffed Peppers because invariably I would have more stuffing than peppers and end up putting it in the freezer. Then I'd have to extend the stuffing to use for the next time, ending up again with waaaay more stuffing than I could use for that meal. Forty years later, the hubby still won't eat stuffed peppers. Or pork steaks in mushroom sauce.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.