Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Thanksgiving dinner/bringing parts of.... >

Thanksgiving dinner/bringing parts of....

Thanksgiving dinner/bringing parts of....

Old 11-21-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
How about just letting grand-daughter know that you are willing to do "whatever" - but that she has to * ask* you for whatever.

How else is she going to learn what-all is involved?

I think it would be much easier to buy nice paper/plastic plates and disposable tableware - (if you are frugal, you can wash it and use it again!)

I do understand how hard it is to "let go" - but - surprise! surprise! - my female relatives are able to do this as well - or better! - than I was able to.
Amazing, isn't it, how much others can do if we let them. I'd say ask what you can bring to help and let her do the rest. It doesn't matter if it isn't perfect, it will be fine. I remember eating off paper plates in the living room for Thanksgiving when I was living far from home. It was fine and we all had a good time.

I second the paper plates, but that's just because there is no way I'd pack up my china and silver and transport them to someone else's house.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:19 PM

Everyone has to start someplace and I commend her for stepping up. We accumulate our kitchen and dining room things over the years and so will she. Help if asked and suggest tactfully.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:30 PM

Out of proportion. Your grand daughter is in charge of co-ordination of the meal. If you feel doesn't have everything she needs to 'make it happen", you could go to WM or similar store and buy her a housewarming gift, or a crock pot or one of those oven roasters (usually less than 35$ and big enough to cook a turkey) and bring your sweet potatoes and/or stuffing, pre-cooked but warm, in the house warming gift.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:42 PM

I have had family Thanksgiving dinner at our house for many years until 3 years ago when our granddaughter was in the hospital in another city after having a double lung transplant. I got a turkey and all the rest of the meal and we all the family went to that city and had a wonderful dinner in her hospital room. She couldn't come here, so we took Thanksgiving to her, especially since we were all so thankful for her successful surgery. The next year I wasn't feeling well so I got the whole meal from the grocery store. That was so successful that I decided that since we had broken tradition the years before, I am getting this year's dinner for the same grocery store. I guess sometimes it is good to break traditions. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:58 PM

Lovely GD you are so blessed! Just enjoy the day with family, relinquish the control and bask in all you have to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-21-2017, 03:07 PM
Power Poster

I would gladly let someone else take over. There is just me and oldest Daughter to make everything. We trusted someone to bring cheesecake, a staple, she did not, now we don't trust anyone. We tell them to bring snacks or whatever. Anything we two like we bring. Her husband is good to help her, my husband, not so much. He unloads the truck. We have gone to our cabin in the woods since about 1980 or 81. No running water, water has to be heated. Several bring clean water from home. Kids grew up and slowly the crowd has gotten bigger. I never dreamed when it was just the 5 of us what a tradition I started. It is sort of an old fashion Thanksgiving. Grands are adults, except for 15 yo. One GS is a deputy and must work, one spouse doesn't like it, they usually spend Wed. night so they can have TG dinner with his family. All the Grands love it and will jump through hoops to get there. The deputy would like to be there but, knows his job comes first he will get dressing and pumpkin pie anyway. We all have a good time, no arguments. Everyone eats off paper plates but me. Others do dishes. My Daughter says when I am gone she will no continue it but, her sons enjoy it and may have a surprise for her. I don't stuff the turkey.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bibliogirl View Post
I have had family Thanksgiving dinner at our house for many years until 3 years ago when our granddaughter was in the hospital in another city after having a double lung transplant. I got a turkey and all the rest of the meal and we all the family went to that city and had a wonderful dinner in her hospital room. She couldn't come here, so we took Thanksgiving to her, especially since we were all so thankful for her successful surgery. The next year I wasn't feeling well so I got the whole meal from the grocery store. That was so successful that I decided that since we had broken tradition the years before, I am getting this year's dinner for the same grocery store. I guess sometimes it is good to break traditions. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
my friend and neighbor is 83, her family drives many miles to come for Thanksgiving. They order a full dinner from the grocery store and she says it works very well.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

I use disposables! I use the fancy wedding ones for holidays and special occasions. I detest after meal clean up so I don't do it. When the food is removed and put away, I pick up the disposable table cloth by the four corners and the whole table contents go in the trash. I put the tablerunner on the table and I'm done with the clean up. No one is stuck in the kitchen doing dishes. DH said he liked real dishes so I used real dishes one time, only if he took care of the clean up. He said fine no problem. That was the last time I used real dishes. LOL He said he had no idea how much time was wasted doing dishes after a big meal.
Old 12-13-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use disposables! I use the fancy wedding ones for holidays and special occasions. I detest after meal clean up so I don't do it. When the food is removed and put away, I pick up the disposable table cloth by the four corners and the whole table contents go in the trash. I put the tablerunner on the table and I'm done with the clean up. No one is stuck in the kitchen doing dishes. DH said he liked real dishes so I used real dishes one time, only if he took care of the clean up. He said fine no problem. That was the last time I used real dishes. LOL He said he had no idea how much time was wasted doing dishes after a big meal.
I love your clean up solution.