Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas >

Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas

Thanksgiving Dinner Ideas

Old 08-12-2011, 12:18 PM

What did you spray your chicken breasts with in the baster? This sounds like a great idea where I it would taste like a somewhat traditional dinner, but very easy to manage.

Thanks to all of you who provided ideas. I have some time to think about this and decide.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM

We do traditional for Thanksgiving, especially if it is the in-laws. When we are with just the daughters at Christmas, anything goes. Most times we don't want to spend lots of time in the kitchen. Cooking is the fun part but the cleanup can be a drag.
What about Cornish game hens? Kind of traditional on a smaller scale :)
Old 08-12-2011, 10:42 PM

I do a big ham and a prime rib.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:39 PM
np3
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 PM

I think my family would have a nervous breakdown if I didn't serve turkey with all the trimmings!!! I would love to go out, but that isn't in the cards. Oh well, just happy to be around this year to do it all!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:16 AM

Excellent idea! Did you use any chicken broth in the pan with the rolled breasts? If so, how much did you use. This could be used to make the gravy.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by trisha
I think my family would have a nervous breakdown if I didn't serve turkey with all the trimmings!!! I would love to go out, but that isn't in the cards. Oh well, just happy to be around this year to do it all!!!
Believe it or not...my family )and myself also) always had to have the dinner with every aspect of Thanksgiving on the table but a couple years ago, I decided that we were going out...

OMG, everyone loved it......

BUT.......I must admit, I did roast a turkey breast and stuffing and had cranberry sauce and cold slaw on the side for the next day sandwiches. I do believe that my family enjoyed the next day snacks as much, if not more, than the actual dinner.

So this new routine serves all just great........and I am not in the kitchen all day long.........
Old 08-16-2011, 05:03 AM

We usually do turkey for thanksgiving but Christmas we make a huge pan of homemade lasagna. Mmmm mmm. Serve it up with some garlic bread and a fresh green salad. Relatively easy (especially compared to an all out turkey dinner) and a favorite by all.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:48 PM

I've never made this for Thanksgiving but here goes. If you use a crock pot here's a Sauerbraten recipe someone gave me and it is so good! It doesn't taste like Sauerbraten though.

Sauerbraten

2 cups dry white wine
2 cups white vinegar
2 cups water
2 large onions, sliced
2 large carrots, sliced
6 peppercorns
6 whole cloves
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon mustard seed (can use regular mustard seed)
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
2 tablespoons salt
1 (5 lb.) bottom round or rump roast

In 3 quart mix all ingredients except for roast. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Cool. Pour over meat and store in refrigerator. *Marinate 3 to 4 days; turning once a day. NOTE: This is where I changed the recipe I just wasn’t sure about letting it sit for so long so did it for 2 days instead.

4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons salad oil
2 tablespoons sugar
½ cup gingersnap crumbs

Remove meat from marinade, discard vegetables. Reserve marinade. Wipe meat with paper towel. Mix 2 tablespoons of the flour, salt and pepper. Coat all sides of the meat with it. In 10 ½” pan fry over medium heat. Brown meat in oil. Place browned meat in slow cooker: add 1 ½ cups strained marinade. Cover. Turn heat control to LOW. Cook 8 hours. Combine sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons of flour and gingersnap crumbs. Add to slow cooker and stir well. Cover. Turn heat to high. Cook 30 minutes longer. Serve with potato pancakes. Makes 6 to 8 servings. Cool before serving.

Added Notes from lady who gave me this recipe:

Can use same day without 3-4 day marinate if short on time. Just strain out carrots, onions, whole cloves and add juice into crock pot to cook meat.

Delicious Served with:

Greenwood sweet & sour red cabbage, warm before serving

Fresh green beans
Old 08-24-2011, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by lynn7448
Hi!
Won't be long and I will be holding Thanksgiving dinner at my house (I know I am pushing the season). Had ham last year and really do not want to prepare turkey, as that opens up another agenda.
Any other ideas for this holiday dinner? I am open to any suggestions you throw my way. There was a Chicken Ricotta recipe here that sounded pretty good and also possibly Chicken Cordon Bleu. But, are they a holiday dish? Seafood?
Help!!! Thanks, Lynn
I usually have the traditional. Do not stuff the turkey, but have oyster dressing as a side dish