Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thanksgiving dressing

Thanksgiving dressing

I have never made dressing in a crock pot but, since I live a bit of a distance from where Thanksgiving dinner will be served, I'd like to know if that works. I've always made bread dressing to bake in the oven. Anyone have an opinion or a recipe that makes wonderful results?

Scroll down a few posts in Recipes and you will find my post of a cornbread dressing recipe made in the crock pot. I will try it this year......you will note that it got rave reviews.

I have made it several times and everyone loves it, I like the fact it stays moist.
    granna of 5

I'd like to make it a day ahead....would you reheat in the microwave?

I see no reason why you can't but you won't get a browned crust on the stuffing like you do when you bake it. In my household there would be outright revolt if I had stuffing with no crusty crunchy bits at all. It would still get eaten but there would definitely be grumbles and comments.

I always make my dressing the day before, and heat it up in the oven.
    Lori

Power Poster
    I make my dressing in the oven and then transfer it into a slow cooker to keep hot. I put a couple of squares of paper towels over the top of the slow cooker befor putting the lid on. This catches any condensation so the bread stuffing doesn’t get soggy.

I make my dressing at home day before. Take it in a cooler and bake it in the oven Thanksgiving Day. I add more than enough broth so it dries out as it bakes. Everyone loves my cornbread dressing.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I just read a recipe for the Worst Stuffing recipe and I think I will try that this year.

I prefer to do it in the Crock Pot! Just mix it up as per usual, and let it cook away! It’s so easy, it stays moist, and best of all it doesn’t use precious oven space! The first time I did it I followed a recipe from the Rivel Crockpot cookbook. My son said ‘this is awesome’ so that’s how I’ve done it ever since!

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I make my dressing in the oven and then transfer it into a slow cooker to keep hot. I put a couple of squares of paper towels over the top of the slow cooker befor putting the lid on. This catches any condensation so the bread stuffing doesn’t get soggy.
    That is the concern, keeping the right texture. As someone else said, part of what makes dressing nice is the texture of crispness combined with the softness.

dressing

Blog Entries
    I must confess, in 48+ years of marriage I have never made dressing. When both set of parents were living mother and mother in law made dressing or if we have Thanksgiving at home Hubby has always made the dressing, I often do the prep work for him nd do the rest of the meal but he has always made the dressing- why mess up a good thing! lol. His bread dressing is just delicious. I do make a fabulous cornbread salad though. This year he I going to try the crockpot for his dressing