Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
German meat dressing for Thanksgiving needed >

German meat dressing for Thanksgiving needed

German meat dressing for Thanksgiving needed

Old 11-04-2018, 06:44 AM

Default German meat dressing for Thanksgiving needed

Growing up my mother always made a meat dressing, as a newlywed a German lady taught her how to cook for my dad. I know it had bread, raw meat (beef??/pork??), eggs, sage and possibly milk. It was then put in a pan or Corning ware dish to bake. The dressing always had the best crust that all us 6 kids wanted.

Does anyone know of such a recipe so I can make it as a memory dish this year. The recipe was not in her collection as she never had a recipe out to make it.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:58 AM

I've never had anything that sounds like that. But, Google is your friend..... https://www.thefoodinmybeard.com/rec...meat-stuffing/
Old 11-04-2018, 11:36 AM

Barb, that is a good recipe and have it printed, only need to omit the potatoes but no big deal.
Thank you for the link
Old 11-05-2018, 05:03 AM

I always put seasoned pork in my bread dressing along with onions, celery and wild rice. The pork and wild rice are cooked before going in. Delicious!
Old 11-05-2018, 06:38 AM

It looks like a large meatloaf with simple seasoning. I may need to try it sometime with leftovers.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:42 AM

My dressing has bacon and italian sausage in it. Along with onion, celery, garlic, salt and pepper, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Also a little poultry seasoning for good measure. Mixed with diced dried bread crumbs. I’m Polish, by the way, and that’s the way I’ve always made it. Delish!
Old 11-05-2018, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I too always add sausage to my regular Thanksgiving stuffing. I do get a great crust but I don't think the sausage is the reason. I use Pepperidge Farms Herb stuffing and add all kinds of stuff. I saute celery (lots and lots of celery), onion or better still leeks, bell pepper in the butter called for on the directions. I add additional fresh herbs like the Simon and Garfunkle song (parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme) and even other herbs like summer savory and marjoram to the bread crumbs. Turkey stock and cooked breakfast sausage meat with more sage added. Mix it all together and stuff the bird. Any leftover gets put in a separate casserole dish and baked. If I can get my hands on them I will also add Chestnuts. The stuffing from the bird gets a wonderful crust on the little bit that is exposed at the cavity. The casserole one gets a lot more crust. Both on the top and where the stuffing comes in direct contact with the dish. I make sure to either butter or spray pam in the casserole dish.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:00 PM

I have a german cookbook with older recipes will see if I can find it. And if I find it will post. Is long ago I last looked into it I do not remember all that is in it. Does have some very heavy dishes.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:36 AM

I'm from Germany and know this dressing: Simmer the giblets and neck with a chopped onion. When they're done, remove meat (whatever there is) from the neck and chop up together with the giblets. Then add ground beef and make a meatloaf-type mix. We added sage and finely chopped onion, an egg and some breadcrumbs, but you can also crush pre-made sage bread stuffing and use that instead. Fill the turkey cavities front and back (nowadays one would say to bake separately) and roast the turkey. The leftover giblet broth is used to make the gravy.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:50 PM

ArtsyOne, thank you for your version but Moms was not meat loaf like but fluffy with a thick crust all around.
I will keep notes on all information given to give it a go the next time.
Nerys that would be great if you do have something in your book.