Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Thanksgiving For Only 2 >

Thanksgiving For Only 2

Thanksgiving For Only 2

Old 11-01-2020, 03:17 AM

My son will be here so there will be 3 of us. I like turkey leftovers and none of us really will miss stuffing or gravy. So I plan to cook a turkey breast and serve it with mashed potatoes, jarred cranberry sauce, maple squash (already mashed in the freezer), squash bread (also in the freezer), frozen peas, and for dessert spiced squash bread pudding (again mashed squash from freezer). Can you sense a theme here? My son, the lawncare guy, "gifted" me with four huge squashes from a yard he worked at. I managed to give two away but kept two.
Old 11-01-2020, 04:19 AM

We will have breakfast, play golf and have a cobb salad with deli turkey in it for dinner. No pie, I'll make brownie or choc chip cookies which are his favorites. We do this every year as we have no family near us.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:28 AM

Being a singleton and have been for 40 years, I have not hosted Thanksgiving but joined with other family members. It has been wonderful to cook, serve and eat together with twenty or more other family members. But this year, I will be on my own. The family is not gathering. I am so excited to make what I want for this celebratory meal. I am anticipating the scent of turkey and pumpkin pie wafting from my oven and filling my home with memories. I will make a favorite bread, cranberry salad and set my table for the feast. Lonely, well yes a little but I plan on celebrating with thanks for all I have and plan a day that includes a nap and pulling out all my Christmas movies and music to get the season started.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Like several of you, I am doing a turkey breast and small amounts of all the traditional sides. Turkey breast is on sale this week so I better get busy and make a list.
It will be different this year cooking for only two.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:30 AM

Three for the table here. I will do the full blown turkey. Love the extra meat which I freeze in ziploc bags and use in recipes that call for cooked and cut up chicken. Each of us will get one favorite item. For me it's roasted brussel sprouts, for DH its cranberry pie and for my son it's rolls. Yes he is a carb lover like me and could eat an entire pan on his own. I may make a mock sweet potato casserole out of kabocha squash/pumpkin. i already have some cooked, mashed and frozen.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:42 AM

Toverly, I would like your recipe for Cranberry Pie.
Old 11-01-2020, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I've been invited to Kentucky for Thanksgiving, but I'm not sure that is going to work with the COVID. If I don't go, it may dinner for one here. I am immunocompromised and so is my grandson who's living with my daughter until his visa comes through to move to Japan. He can't be exposed now. If she drives me to Kentucky, we will have a few exposures. Is it worth it? I don't see my son enough, but he will understand if we don't come.
If it were me, I wouldn't go. Perhaps a well planned, fun Zoom meeting would be better. That way, you could all eat and chat, "together."
Old 11-01-2020, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach View Post
Being a singleton and have been for 40 years, I have not hosted Thanksgiving but joined with other family members. It has been wonderful to cook, serve and eat together with twenty or more other family members. But this year, I will be on my own. The family is not gathering. I am so excited to make what I want for this celebratory meal. I am anticipating the scent of turkey and pumpkin pie wafting from my oven and filling my home with memories. I will make a favorite bread, cranberry salad and set my table for the feast. Lonely, well yes a little but I plan on celebrating with thanks for all I have and plan a day that includes a nap and pulling out all my Christmas movies and music to get the season started.
...pulling out all my Christmas movies...Just like Chevy Chase! I hope that you have an old turban and fur stole to wear.

Actually, I think that sounds wonderful! I'm thinking that I don't have to make all of those dishes that each person, "just has to have." I can make, or not make whatever I want. It's very freeing to think about the possibilities!
Old 11-01-2020, 09:06 AM

After making 45 big Thanksgiving dinners this year will be a shock to us since we’ll be just two as well. But like you I am feeling okay with that. I am actually thinking of shrimp & grits for us 😋 might do chicken breasts, stove top, cream of chicken soup in the crock pot if I feel the need for something a bit more traditional 🤣 enjoy the day whatever you decide!
Old 11-02-2020, 04:35 AM

This will be the first year that Thanksgiving won't turn into a family reunion with aunts, uncles, cousins, grandkids, and great grandkids traveling from all over Texas. I'm thankful that all are well! It will be the immediate family this year.

One year, for small group, we cooked shrimp because the Pilgrims had seafood!

My least favorite is going out to restaurant-no leftovers.

Cute leftovers story:
When youngest was about 3, we asked if she, too, would like a turkey sandwich. she said, "Eww, no. I hate turkey! Give me some of that chicken we had yesterday!"