Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Tips for diabetic people >

Tips for diabetic people

Tips for diabetic people

Old 05-24-2018, 06:58 AM
Power Poster

Boston1954, I have heard of the White Kidney Bean extract. I'm glad to know it is working for you. I went to a cooking demo for low carb foods and the capsules were open and mixed in the carb food, said it was more effective when eaten with food. A half capsules sprinkled on toast, one capsule mixed in with pasta, a serving of potatoes, etc. I really had forgotten all about this until I read your post.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Looking for new diabetic ideas.
#1 I don’t buy hamburger or sandwich buns anymore - too many carbs. Instead we use high fiber tortillas. Peanut butter in a rolled up tortilla is a pretty good snack.
I think you would be surprised at the fat in a tortilla. My husband was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 years ago and asked me to help him lose weight. He prefers almond butter to the peanuts, and I eat that out of the jar with a soup spoon.

I won't buy anything with artificial sweetener.

We eat out a lot and any order he places is preceeded by the statement "NO bread". He loves the chili hamburger that a local place serves. They know now to leave off the bun and just dish it up onto a plate. I was relentless in cracking the whip where his food consumption was concerned. Unfortunately, I ate like a pig the whole time. Lettuce and kale took the place of the bread he loved and craved, using the leaf as a wrapper for the food. I got up early each day and prepared large containers of raw vegetables for him to dip in a fage greek yogurt dip. The raw vegetables were anything that could be cut into bite sized hold in the hand food. Raw sweet potatoes cut into matchsticks along with sweet peppers were a favorite. He is very active and has a high metabolism, so took off weight rapidly until he is down about 40 pounds from what he was at diagnosis. He has maintained that weight for at least a year. This area has a very active diabetes treatment group that schedules cooking classes about once a month, directed by a teaching RN and a nutritionist. The cooking classes are hands-on and my husband loves them because I usually chase him out of the kitchen. I read and checked out videos from the public library, trying to understand diabetes. We have now cut back on the raw veggies and buy a loaf of bread for him that has so many seeds and nuts in it that I hate it, but he loves it, eating only one slice a day.

What is interesting is what people will hear versus what the doctors or nutritionists tell them, like the husband and wife who come to these classes and believe that eating candy is the way to control their diabetic problems.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Google diabetic eating plans. From my experience, the key for diabetics is low carb and less food. Salads and lean meat, broiled or baked instead of fried. The old Weight Watchers eating plan from the 80s and 90's is perfect. 15 grams of carbs counts as 1 carb. All vegetables with low calories are good. Research the high fiber foods like Sweet potatoes and brown rice. Eggs are a good source of protein.

Cheese, even though high fat, is a good protein and has very few carbs. My husband is a type 2 diabetic. He has to have his treats and he loves ice cream. There are several, like a stick-in-the-mud (vanilla ice cream surrounded by chocolate) and dreamscicles (Vanilla ice cream surrounded by orange sherbert) that are only 1 carb. We buy only the no sugar added or artificial sweetener. Hubby tries to stay at about 6~8 carbs a day. This allows him a sandwich for lunch (2 slices of bread = 2 carbs). He does eat a healthy serving of Cheerios each morning with about a cup of milk. This counts as a protein, a milk serving and a couple of carbs. I do buy cookies, but I make sure a serving, which is usually 4 cookies is less than 2 carbs and we eat only two. It's just a lifestyle change for many of us.

A recipe that is so good for the summer is the fruit salad with a small Cool whip, small box of No sugar vanilla jello and 3 different types of canned drained fruits. Drain the fruit and Use the fruit juices to beat with the Jello and then stir in the cool whip. For fruits I use Mandarin oranges, diced peaches and diced pineapple. You can add fresh grapes cut in half, diced cherries and sliced bananas if you want. Stir the fruits into the Cool whip jello mix, put in the fridge to cool down and enjoy.

The key is moderation in all the food we eat. We split all our meals when we go out to eat and even a lunch portion is more than enough for the two of us and we usually have some to take home.
do you mean sugar free vanilla pudding ? I have not seen vanilla jello but it could be out there.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I think you would be surprised at the fat in a tortilla. My husband was diagnosed with diabetes about 2 years ago and asked me to help him lose weight. He prefers almond butter to the peanuts, and I eat that out of the jar with a soup spoon.

I won't buy anything with artificial sweetener.

We eat out a lot and any order he places is preceeded by the statement "NO bread". He loves the chili hamburger that a local place serves. They know now to leave off the bun and just dish it up onto a plate. I was relentless in cracking the whip where his food consumption was concerned. Unfortunately, I ate like a pig the whole time. Lettuce and kale took the place of the bread he loved and craved, using the leaf as a wrapper for the food. I got up early each day and prepared large containers of raw vegetables for him to dip in a fage greek yogurt dip. The raw vegetables were anything that could be cut into bite sized hold in the hand food. Raw sweet potatoes cut into matchsticks along with sweet peppers were a favorite. He is very active and has a high metabolism, so took off weight rapidly until he is down about 40 pounds from what he was at diagnosis. He has maintained that weight for at least a year. This area has a very active diabetes treatment group that schedules cooking classes about once a month, directed by a teaching RN and a nutritionist. The cooking classes are hands-on and my husband loves them because I usually chase him out of the kitchen. I read and checked out videos from the public library, trying to understand diabetes. We have now cut back on the raw veggies and buy a loaf of bread for him that has so many seeds and nuts in it that I hate it, but he loves it, eating only one slice a day.

What is interesting is what people will hear versus what the doctors or nutritionists tell them, like the husband and wife who come to these classes and believe that eating candy is the way to control their diabetic problems.
I only buy high fiber tortillas. If a tortilla has 14 grams of carbs and the fiber is 8 grams, then net grams of carbs is 6. (14 minus 8 = 6). When we met with the health coach, I explained this - she looked it up and affirmed it.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:22 PM

My daughter surprised me with a home-made apple pie. The only thing absent was the sugar. She didn't use any sugar substitute either, but the pie was wonderful. Never would have guessed it was sugar free. Seemed ok for a small slice.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:34 AM

I don’t know If you know this, but tortillas usually have more carbs that other bread products. Fluffy carbs verses flat carbs are still carbs.
I have just recently joined a Facebook group that helps with reversing diabetes by using a ketogenic diet. I have been following this diet (no starvation!) for just over a week, and my digestive issues are gone, and I feel healthier and more alive. I am going to stick to this as long as I feel good and my a1c stays the same or goes down. Last night I had some Italian pasta salad and could barely stay awake. I was in bed by six thirty. Not good, so back to ketogenic for me.
Old 05-25-2018, 03:10 PM

http://dlife.com/new-study-artificia...SAAEgIDYPD_BwE

Can't believe people still fall for the artificial sweetener hype. It is nothing but sugar with calories removed by chemicals, making it a chemical laden substance. When I was still working, a diabetic co-worker drank diet soda, and always wondered why she still couldn't lose weight. AND, when she switched to regular sodas, she didn't gain any more weight either.

https://drpeterosborne.com/artificia...-side-effects/

https://www.mercola.com/Downloads/bo...me/report.aspx

Last edited by vschieve; 05-25-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:58 PM

Insulin resistance is caused by eating artificial sweeteners. Your mouth tastes the sweet, your brain reacts as if you have eaten sugar, and now your body has to find a way to deal with all the extra insulin released since there is no real sugar in your system. That is exactly what causes insulin resistance, and type two diabetes.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:01 PM

would love to know what FB group that is. I really need to get my diabetes controlled and not starve. I also have digestive issues which makes it hard sometimes.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by BARES View Post
would love to know what FB group that is. I really need to get my diabetes controlled and not starve. I also have digestive issues which makes it hard sometimes.
The Facebook page is “Reversing Diabeles” you have to join to get info as it is a closed group.