Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Tomato Sauce for pasta and pizza.     I will never buy bottle sauce again. >

Tomato Sauce for pasta and pizza. I will never buy bottle sauce again.

Tomato Sauce for pasta and pizza. I will never buy bottle sauce again.

Old 09-17-2018, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm, where is the garlic? What about herbs like basil? I suppose commercially canned tomatoes have enough salt in them and I suspect the butter would to. But I like my tomato sauce with a lot more gusto than that recipe. I make my own from tomatoes I grow myself. I chop and leave the onions in it (rather than removing it) and I add lots and lots of garlic (from the local garlic farm) along with peppers (bell or Italian frying and usually throw in a hot one too) also from my own garden or the farm stand if I don't have enough. I saute the peppers onions and garlic in some olive oil then put in the tomatoes and let it cook all day. Lots of fresh basil (also from my garden) and a bay leaf along with salt and pepper. I too will rarely buy commercial jarred sauce because I am spoiled on my own. I cook it one day and can it the next. So far this year I have done over 40 quarts.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mac View Post
That is Marcella Hazen's recipe. She was a well-known Italian cook and her books are amazing. She has since passed and her books are sometimes hard to find.

I love that recipe and use it whenever I can.
Thank you for the info. The person who gave me the recipe said it was given to her by a successful caterer. I will look for the cookbooks.

Found the one considered the best by all the reviews on Amazon. Thanks!!

Last edited by Onebyone; 09-17-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:58 PM
mac

Originally Posted by Needles View Post
Did you ever try doing this with your own fresh tomatoes? This sounds like the way my grandmother did it. Of course, that was 60-70 years ago, her tomatoes all came from the garden or the basement, where she had shelves full of her fresh canned vegetables, including, whole tomatoes, tomato juice and tomato sauce (which she made with onion and butter).
Last year, when my neighbor had too many tomatoes and was complaining that he didn't know what to do with them, I made him some of this tomato sauce with his tomatoes. I am not sure if I did the right thing or not, as this year he hasn't given me any of his tomatoes. He probably used them all making pasta sauce.

Whenever, I have tomatoes that I haven't eaten and I think that it is time to 'do or dump' them, I make the sauce out of these tomatoes. It even works for cherry tomatoes, but you need a lot.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:56 AM
Power Poster

There are so many ways to make a good sauce. Not one of my Italian relatives made it exactly the same. I can't use peppers because they bother my stomach. My Mom sometimes puts them in her sauce but not always.
Plum tomatoes are good to use because they are meaty. I would have a hard time omitting garlic though
Old 09-19-2018, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

thanks. printed it out. shuuush!
Old 10-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

I received the cookbook. I only have three must have cookbooks and this one will be number 4. The other 30 or so are seldom looked at. I've been taking a few at at time to my guild's free table.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:24 AM

I just slice up San Marzano tomatoes real thin and sprinkle onion and garlic powder, salt, pepper and herbs on it before putting cheese and other toppings on.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:47 PM

I so agree what SusieQOH,said about omitting the garlic that I don't think I could do either,,,Love me some garlic