Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Too Many Tomatoes/Cucumbers >

Too Many Tomatoes/Cucumbers

Too Many Tomatoes/Cucumbers

Old 07-23-2012, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
Is it salt that you liberally sprinkle on them? You left out what to sprinkle.

Sorry I should have used another word instead of sprinkle. I was referring to the onions & spreading them however much you like or dislike onions. We love onions so we always put lots on our tomatoes/cucumbers.

Sue
Old 07-23-2012, 04:40 PM

I just bought a cook book called Mexican street food. It has a recipe for salsa that can be canned and everyone who has tried it loves it. My son all but sits on the couch drinking it. It's call roasted tomatoe, chipotle salsa.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:06 PM

i love fried green tomatoes. fried zuccini
Old 07-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
When I get a surplus of tomatoes, I put them into freezer bags and freeze them solid for stewed tomatoes in the winter. When you want to use them, I put a pot of hot water to boil on the stove. I put the frozen tomato into the boiling water for about 5-10 seconds. I pick it out with my tongs and run the tomato under the tap and the skin peels right off. I do all the skins off the tomatoes and then dump out the water. I wait for the tomatoes to thaw a bit and core and cut them up and put them in the pot to cook.
Frozen tomatoes also make great spaghetti sauce. We keep them all winter.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:37 AM

I like making a salad I learned from a Greek friend years ago: Combine cubed fresh cucs, diced sweet onion, and large cubed fresh tomatoes with olives (canned, or Greek style). Add some chopped fresh parsley, cilantro or basil or nothing - whatever pleases you. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and a drizzle of olive oil and mix her up. For special occasions, I top it off with crumbled Feta or Blue cheese. It is delish! Also can be served on a bed of fresh Romaine lettuce, if you're working on upping your "Greens intake" (I'm always trying to add more veggies to our diet, every way I can think of)

The other thing we like with the tomatoes is a simple cooked sauce over a 3 cheese ravioli with parmesan. It is so fine when made and eaten fresh like that.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:53 AM

Hi Cindy, I'll be at Bella's on Wed afternoon to work on some embroidery if you want to drop some by I'd love some. Those are my favorite two veggies from the garden in the summer time. Give me some salt and pepper and I'm good to go. I also like the southern cucumber sandwiches as well. Caprese salad w/tomatoes, cucumbers and mozzerella cheese, basil and olive oil is fast and good. Do you ever fry green tomtoes; they are great. I also saw on Creat TV the other day that Peppin was cooking cucumbers and then putting fresh herbs on them. I love cucumber salad; slice them along with onions of any kind, sprinkle with salt and let them drain in colander for a short time and add red wine vinegar and dill. My mother in law also adds sour cream. You can make a small batch of pickles and keep them in your fridge for a shorter period of time if you don't want to can them. I miss canning; I use to do it all the time. How are your herbs doing this yr?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by JoyjoyMarie View Post
I like making a salad I learned from a Greek friend years ago: Combine cubed fresh cucs, diced sweet onion, and large cubed fresh tomatoes with olives (canned, or Greek style). Add some chopped fresh parsley, cilantro or basil or nothing - whatever pleases you. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, fresh squeezed lemon juice, and a drizzle of olive oil and mix her up. For special occasions, I top it off with crumbled Feta or Blue cheese. It is delish! Also can be served on a bed of fresh Romaine lettuce, if you're working on upping your "Greens intake" (I'm always trying to add more veggies to our diet, every way I can think of)

The other thing we like with the tomatoes is a simple cooked sauce over a 3 cheese ravioli with parmesan. It is so fine when made and eaten fresh like that.
The salad is something like I make except that I add cooked orzo to it and it makes a real hardy meal. Both sound really good. I like putting it on aruglua because it's kind of peppery in flavor or fresh baby spinach.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 AM

put them on a stand up by the road, for 'donations'. you might be able to buy some more quilting material.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 AM

When I have an more cucumbers than I can use I make Refrigerator Pickles, you can keep it going all summer.. You need a gallon jar The recipe is
4 cups sugar
4 cups white 5% vinegar
1/2 cup canning salt
1 1/2 teas turmeric, celery seed, mustard seed

Slice onions in bottom of jar, as many as you like, slice unpeeled cucumber. Juice is poured over cold.Stir, put lid on and ref. let stand about 2 days before eating. stir every day. As you use add more cucumber and onion. They are very crisp.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by CindyA View Post
We grow tomatoes and cucumbers and at some point usually have more than we can eat or give away. I can but do not have a pressure canner yet. I prefer fresh salsa, so not sure if I want to start trying out recipes for canning that yet. What do you do with extra tomatoes and cucumbers?
You don't have to have a pressure canner to can tomatoes. Just peel and cut your tomatoes the way you want them . Put in a large pan and bring to a boil. When it gets to a rolling boil pour then in clean hot jars. Add 1/8-1/4 tsp salt to a quart sized jar. Put lid on and tighten good. Place on large pan with water and cook for 20 min. Take out of water and let cool. Listen for the ping of the lids sealing.