Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Too many tomatoes! >

Too many tomatoes!

Too many tomatoes!

Old 09-12-2010, 01:42 PM

My DH and I went to Sam's recently and I, in a moment of craziness, bought a large container of roma tomatoes. I say craziness because there isn't any way the two of us can eat an entire box of tomatoes before they go to mush. It was time to clean the veggie bin, so with a carrot, onion, garlic and some thyme, my soon-to-be mushy tomatoes became a very nice tomato sauce (that is, thanks to a recipe from Mario Batali!). I also cleaned out the potatoes by making gnocchi, too!

Great thing is that everything can go into the freezer for another couple of meals!
Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 PM

I was going to suggest spaghetti sauce. Freezes great and my family loves it fresh not store bought.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 PM

That homemade sauce is going to taste so yummy this winter. And you have gnocchi too! Bake some Italian bread and make a green salad and you'll have a five-star meal with little effort.

I made a tomato tart last night with puff pastry, fresh basil, scallions and goat cheese. The tomatoes have been wonderful this summer. I'm so sad they're almost gone. I wish I had your insight to freeze a big batch. I might have to go to the produce market tomorrow.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Chele
That homemade sauce is going to taste so yummy this winter. And you have gnocchi too! Bake some Italian bread and make a green salad and you'll have a five-star meal with little effort.

I made a tomato tart last night with puff pastry, fresh basil, scallions and goat cheese. The tomatoes have been wonderful this summer. I'm so sad they're almost gone. I wish I had your insight to freeze a big batch. I might have to go to the produce market tomorrow.
I've made tomato tarts before, but never with goat cheese ... sounds like a trip to the market for me, too! Have to give that a try!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:43 PM

What is 'gnocchi'? If its made with potatoes is must be good.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Power Poster

Yum! Sounds so good!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
What is 'gnocchi'? If its made with potatoes is must be good.
They are potato dumplings. If you want the directions, just let me know ... they are very easy to make!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:06 PM

My family would love the recipe for potatoe dumplings.
Chicken and dumpling, fluffy ones, is a favorite meal at our home.
2 grandughters have learned to make dumplings.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
My family would love the recipe for potatoe dumplings.
Chicken and dumpling, fluffy ones, is a favorite meal at our home.
2 grandughters have learned to make dumplings.

Bake (or microwave) 6 medium-sized potatoes until they are very well done. If you have a ricer or food mill, put the potatoes through that; if not, mash them well. Put the potatoes on a baking sheet and then into the refrigerator until the potatoes are very cold. Next step is to put the cold potatoes on the counter, add 2 room temp eggs, handful of Parmesan cheese (optional) and about 1/2 - 3/4C flour. (I would start out with 1/2C and then add as needed). Mix the potato mixture with your hands until it sticks together. If the mixture is sticky or does not hold together, add more flour, but just until the mixture holds shape. You want to be careful to not add too much flour. Next is the fun part ... cut off sections and roll into ropes (kind of like play dough). Either cook immediately in plenty of salted water or put onto a floured baking sheet and freeze. If you decide to freeze the gnocchi, let them freeze individually and once frozen they can be put into a bag to freeze. If you cook them right away, the gnocchi will float to the top of the water when done (this will only take a few minutes). Serve and enjoy!

Sorry for the lengthy directions ... I'd be a horrible recipe writer!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:42 PM

It's a wonderful recipe Lynneander! I feel like I scored a secret Italian grandmama recipe! I will give it a try. Buon appetito!