Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Tuna on a Shoestring

Tuna on a Shoestring

Been years since I made this, but a grandchild wandered in unannounced recently, so I slipped to the store and he got this. He liked it.

2 cans solid white tuna
    1 cup diced celery
    1 cup (or less) mayo
    Salt & pepper
    1 cup coarse shredded carrots
    1/4 cup diced onion
    Mix all. Just before serving add dry shoestring potatoes.

Is this a salad? or do you cook it? Sounds like if would be good either way.

Oh, I love tuna for summer meals! This sounds good. I also take a can of crushed pineapple, drained, and about a 1/2 box of macaroni, cooked, with the ingredients above (except potatoes) for a great tuna summer "casserole."

Quote Originally Posted by Gwen Clark View Post
    Is this a salad? or do you cook it? Sounds like if would be good either way.
    Salad. Cold.

That brings back memories. I haven't had a tuna fish sandwich in ages. I grew up on almost that same recipe, minus the potoato sticks. But add a huge slice of tomato hot from the garden sunshine.

We eat Alborcore tuna several times a week. My grands think tuna mixed with mayo is a dip.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

My favorite tuna salad recipe uses Granny Smith apples and very little mayonnaise. Add about 1/2 of an apple to a can of tuna. You can decide on the proportions you like. The moisture from the apple means you only need to add 1-2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Add some dill, a little green onion, and a splash or two or three of hot sauce (I use Texas Pete).