Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Ultimate chef knife >

Ultimate chef knife

Ultimate chef knife

Old 02-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Power Poster

If you have good knives, you can get them sharpened if you have a place. My girlfriend who cooks takes hers to Williams Sonoma but there is one close by. I just buy those cheap colored knives that come in a package of sizes that are sharp enough for a while and cheap enough that I just get new ones.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by ibex94 View Post
I am partial to Cutco if you have tons of money. I need to go talk to my butcher.....thanks for the lead, Tessagin. $25 is a lot more affordable than Cutco.
I love my cutco knives my son had a stint at selling them and I got his sample set but I also just cook my squash after poking it then peel and cut up.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:56 PM

I swear by Wustofh (spelling). I love knives, always have. When I used to hunt a great knife is mandatory in the field. They are costly, but well worth it in the long run.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:29 PM

I pierce it in a few places and then micro for a bit till soft enough to cut.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:22 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I bought one like this - 8" I believe - when I lived in Germany so I could cut apart lamb chops, etc. Love that thing and the brand, I haven't used any other knife brand in over 40 years!
http://www.k-bid.com/auction/16218/item/70A?offset=87

Jan in VA
Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter View Post
I pierce it in a few places and then micro for a bit till soft enough to cut.
Same way I do it with spaghetti squash. I used to cut it in half first but way too much trouble.
Old 02-08-2017, 07:39 PM

We have primarily Henckles knives. DH sharpens them as needed. Sometimes you just have to go with the 'bigger hammer' theory...use a really large knife for large jobs. I tend to like our 8" 'all purpose' knife for most jobs. But we also have a larger, 10" knife that is bulkier as well. Then there are the smaller ones for smaller jobs. In addition to sharp, you need to have the right tool for the right job - just like quilting or any other task.

Good knives are certainly an investment but totally worth it in the long run.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:06 AM

Thanks all for suggestions on knives. As far as that butternut squash....I read the recipe in Pinterest-got to stop going there! I have always just cut in half, scooped out seeds, face down, pierced, into micro, butter, brn sugar after cooked...yum. But thought I'd try air frying(roasting)....back to my old ways.....not fun trying to peel and chunk cut a raw butternut!
Old 02-09-2017, 06:34 AM

My first stab (pun intended) at cutting a butternut squash I foundit very hard to cut. Used every knife I could find too. Then I thought...........what about my electric knife? That did make it easier by far. Then someone mentioned to stab it all over and bake it so that's what I do these days. I'll fill a cookie sheet with squash of a similar size, take them out when done and put in another cookie sheet full of squash. The 1st sheet is cooling so I go do some sewing. When the 2nd sheet comes out of the oven and if I have another sheet to put in, then it goes in and I start to cut up the 1st sheet of squash. By a couple of hours I have all my squash baked, cut into cubes, bagged and into my freezer for whatever it is I'll make with them. Never tried any kind of squash till I moved to Iowa and my sister introduced me to it. Now I love the stuff.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:23 PM

I got this knife last year -- not because I cut cheese but because I can cut potatoes, apples, etc., with little effort (got it at Costco so I got to try it). I would probably stab the squash and start the cut but then switch to this knife.
https://www.cutco.com/products/produ...gu1y15cm6td3vu