Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Recipes
  • We've talked about this before... >
  • We've talked about this before...

• We've talked about this before...

Old 06-04-2017, 09:55 AM

The key is really the ice bath. When the eggs are shocked from boiling to freezing in this way, the membrane contracts from the shell.

Whether I bring cold water with eggs in it to a boil and let them boil 10 minutes, or gently lower eggs into boiling water with a long-handled slotted spoon, the result is the same IF and only if I shock the boiled eggs in an ice water bath afterward. I use the slotted spoon to transfer the eggs to the ice bath so that I'm not dirtying a steam basket. Not a huge deal, but one less thing to wash.
    Old 06-06-2017, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin
    I just boiled eggs for the holiday and had no problems. I generally prefer older eggs for boiling but will boil fresh ones too. I put mine in cold water completely covered, bring to a boil and turn off stove. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so and then eventually put them in cold water. I have no problems at all doing this way.
    That's how I learned, too. I remember back in the day people would buy their eggs a couple weeks before Easter so they would be "old" to hard boil for coloring and easier to peel. I don't hear much about that now. Do people still do that? We always had chickens so mom would put a couple dozen in the back of the refrigerator to save for Easter eggs.