Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What’s your favorite food to bring ? >

What’s your favorite food to bring ?

What’s your favorite food to bring ?

Old 01-30-2018, 04:08 AM

I would check for dietary restrictions. So many of the suggestions sound delicious but wouldn't work in my household because of my husband's list of foods he can't have because of health issues.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
Later this week, I’ll be visiting casual friends (he’s terminal) and most likely I will bring a soup or a casserole so I decided to ask here - do you have a favorite food to bring to the sick or bereaved. Cookies or cake are both good but he’s diabetic. I can always use new ideas.
I have a great recipe for meatloaf, taken from Family Circle, 9/76. I take it to potlucks and when it is my turn to be hostess for Faith Circle monthly meeting. There were several pages of recipes under the heading of Marvelous Meatloaves. My favorite is "The Store" Meatloaf by Bert Greene. Through the years, I have made many adjustments to the recipe. One of our friends is diabetic, living alone. I bought very small loaf pans and cook the meatloaf in as many as I can fill up. They freeze well. I have never met a man yet who does not like a meatloaf sandwich.
If someone is sick and I can't get excited about cooking or am pressed for time, I take them a quart carton or two of the Organic Chicken Broth from Costco. A cup of that heated in the microwave is so very good. I keep a good supply of the cartons of chicken stock, buying extra each time I shop at Costco. They now carry cartons of Bone Broth, but to me, it is tasteless.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:51 PM

You may want to find out what they've already had recently so you can change it up.

When I was on bedrest for 6 weeks following a traumatic birthing experience, my church brought meals every night except weekends. This was before "Take Them a Meal" online was a thing. I really appreciated the people who called and said, "I could make this, this, or this, just tell me which sounds best to you." One dear friend said, "What would you REALLY like to have?" Of course you hate to sound picky, but you do get cravings. And I told her I really was in the mood for chicken enchiladas. No one had made those. And so she said she'd be delighted. 16 years later and I still remember that. Fresh fruit was a big hit, too. Fresh salad, too--with dressing.

I always appreciated folks who would also bring extra paper plates and something to drink for the family (we had 3 older kids when the baby was born, so they went through food and drinks like nobody's business).
Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 PM
Power Poster

I always pre pay for pizza delivery in the person's area. Equivalent to five large supreme pizzas to be delivered anytime, one or more at a time. Easy for me and convenient for the person to choose what they want when they want it. One friend that lived alone said it lasted her for a year. She always got one topping med pizza.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:44 AM

Great idea of paper plates and cups etc. Also disposable (recyclable) containers. After my Dads death Mom had so many casserole dishes and cake plates to return. Some had names but many did not. So we just put them all on the dining room table and let people take their own. Only one problem when one woman said another woman took her dish because it was better. We let them fight that out on their own!
Old 02-07-2018, 11:55 AM

I was injured and unable to prepare food for a while. A friend asked what she could do for me. We eat tons of fresh cut veggies and fruit. I asked for a small container of each for in between noshes. She's my forever Angel!