Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What Betty Crockers Recipes do you make from the cookbooks? Please post recipes! >

What Betty Crockers Recipes do you make from the cookbooks? Please post recipes!

What Betty Crockers Recipes do you make from the cookbooks? Please post recipes!

Old 08-15-2010, 12:04 PM

What is subgum pork?
Old 08-15-2010, 02:38 PM

This is my favorite cookbook. It was my Mom's, second edition,1956! The chocolate chip cookie reciepe is my all time favorite, I add the extra flour so they are fuller, not flat.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:52 PM

Hi, I am replying to my own post but are we allowed to post the recipes out of the book or would we run into some sort of trouble by doing that. I'm a knitter and we can't copy patterns because of the copy right laws would this not be the same thing? Just wondering. Libby
Old 08-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Dix

Originally Posted by foxxigrani
I have been looking for the older ones for a while, they had a pancake recipe in there to die for. My aunt whom I lived with as a kid made those all the time and yummy. Mine always turned out as an adult like fresbies. Yup with runny home made syrup. lol. Kids are in thier 40's and still remember my pancakes as I remember hers. They roll on the floor everytime we do that conversation.
I got a Betty Crocker cook book when I graduated from highschool in 1952! Older than most of you out there. I still use it and love it!
Old 08-15-2010, 06:42 PM

For my wedding shower in 1974 my mother gave me two cookbooks: a 1972 Betty Crocker and a 1973 Better Homes and Gardens. Gosh I made tons of stuff out of those two books over the years. Now they are all spattered and worn. Then in the 80's I got a hankerin' for some real comfort food. I found a 1950 Betty Crocker Picture cookbook at some garage sale or estate sale and a 1953 BH&G. The cool thing about the BH&G book is that the lady who owned it also subscribed to the magazine for years and cut out the recipes from the magazine each month that were to be added to the cookbook. I still cook from my Betty Crocker (70's with it's harvest gold, avoacado green, coppertone and burnt orange). No one can cook like Betty. Oh wait-I can! Heidi
Old 08-16-2010, 05:00 AM

I got my Betty Crocker when I graduated from High School in 1867. Two years ago, I went through it and put the recipes I use all the time in page protectors and stored the rest of it. The covers were gone and some of the index pages. When my daughter got married 11 years ago, she wanted a cookbook like Mom's. HA the ones made then didn't have real recipes in them so we found a 1950 copy and that's what she uses. Her Grandmother talked them down to 50 cents for it! And it's priceless to my daughter!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Numa
I got my Betty Crocker when I graduated from High School in 1867. Two years ago, I went through it and put the recipes I use all the time in page protectors and stored the rest of it. The covers were gone and some of the index pages. When my daughter got married 11 years ago, she wanted a cookbook like Mom's. HA the ones made then didn't have real recipes in them so we found a 1950 copy and that's what she uses. Her Grandmother talked them down to 50 cents for it! And it's priceless to my daughter!
graduated from high school in 1867????????
WOW! That makes you about 160!!!!!!!!!!!
I bet you are the oldest person here!
:-D
Old 08-16-2010, 05:58 AM

Sorry! Watching my grandson and trying to type at the same time. Not a good idea obviously! Let's try again, 1967 which takes 99 years off. Boy, if I could just lose pounds that way!
Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM

I have a 1971 Better Crocker that I got as a Christmas present the year I started working full time. I still use it all the time. When DH and I got married, I got a 1946 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook; I believe it was his aunt's. I find things up in there that I haven't found in newer cookbooks (fondant recipe for example). I love cookbooks and have several old ones produced by women's groups (often handwritten recipes and mimeographed, some falling apart and stained on certain pages (maybe "favorite recipes").
Old 08-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Neither of mine are Betty Crocker-both are the Better Homes and Gardens red & white checkered ones. The old one is from 1981 and the second is 2009. Love them both. I think I use the old one the most. It seems to have more 'comfort foods' in there and not so many healthy alternative ones. Hmmm....could the way I cook have something to do with those stubborn middle-age pounds I can't lose? Naaa, don't think so. :0