Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What can I replace shortening with? >

What can I replace shortening with?

What can I replace shortening with?

Old 01-23-2014, 08:02 PM

Actually, vegetable and other shortenings in the US have water in them and butter, supposedly does not. I really prefer using butter instead of shortening. Some shortening leaves a greasy feel on the lips which I dislike. Father had a dairy and so we grew up with butter and cream a plenty. My DMIL had an old oatmeal cookie recipe that required vegetable shortening (Crisco, specifically) and it made a huge difference. My cholesteral numbers are okay and I'm 79 yrs old. Good luck with your recipes.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
I don't know about your Hershey's Kisses Peanut Butter cookies, but I can tell you that I have made the Quaker Oats "Oatmeal Cookie" recipe for more years than I like to remember. The original recipe called for shortening. Now the recipe uses butter. They are baked at 350 degrees F. Butter could burn if your oven is too hot. I'd try a small batch of your recipe. Can it be cut in half? I looked at the recipe and cutting in half isn't a good option, because it uses 1 egg. If you could find some really small eggs, cutting in half might work. I would bake at 350 degrees for a few minutes longer and use butter. These days, I am like you, I don't use shortening for very much of my cooking.

Have fun and let us know how they came out.
It is possible to have half an egg. Beat the egg well and measure. Use half the measurement. But, you know what?!! Make the whole batch. If it flops, eat it with a spoon....OR crumble it up and eat it over ice creeam.