Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What do you eat on Labor Day?

Cool What do you eat on Labor Day?

I send my adult son into the garage and back yard to look for any old BBQ set up for briquettes that might still work. My twin girls will have their family birthday party too. We don't have to eat outside but the weather has been so good that I think it would be nice to have it outside. Besides that we have an above ground pool for the kids to have fun in. I still have some tri-tip in the freezer and a bag with frozen shrimp. I could see fresh vegetable going with that or corn. I am not sure what I would do for starch, a pot of ricer maybe. I think a cobbler or pie would be nice for dessert.

So any ideas of recipes to share?
    Anna Quilts

I would make Shrimp Salad, a tray of raw veggies and dip, and a berry cobbler with ice cream. At what time is it being served? We are having hot dogs with home made chili, cucumber and tomato salad, iced tea, and blackberry cobbler/ice cream Hugs and enjoy the week end

Blog Entries
    No plans for anything special over labour day, but we have a new favourite summer salad.

http://www.kraftcanada.com/en/recipe...ad-135708.aspx Kraft Dill Potato, Bean and Corn Salad. It goes with most meals and takes the place of a starch and vegies. I am not a fan of Dill, so I use an herb blend instead.

I do not serve many hot starches during the summer other than baked potatoes cooked in a campfire.

We have two family birthdays in the summer. Each time it is burgers, salads (2-3), chips, fresh fruit, vegies and dip, plus dessert.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

It will be later in the afternoon/early evening. The first day of school will be the day after for all the kids so we can not make it too late. I like the idea of a starchy salad. I also think making a shrimp salad might work better as I can make all of that ahead of time.
    Anna Quilts

[QUOTE=cucumber and tomato salad,

Do you have a recipe for this?

We are having steaks and skewers of shrimp on the grill (this is easy and hubby grills). Potato salad, vegi tray with dip, baked beans, and fresh peach cobbler with icecream.

Sounds perfect Sharon. Can we just all come over. DS 23 will help grilling if needs be.

Quote Originally Posted by sharon1 View Post
    We are having steaks and skewers of shrimp on the grill (this is easy and hubby grills). Potato salad, vegi tray with dip, baked beans, and fresh peach cobbler with icecream.
    Anna Quilts

We have had house guests for FOUR months, almost solidly. Actually, we've only had seven days in the past four months without guests. The last one leaves Friday. Love seeing them come, but really love seeing them go as well. During this time, I was frantically trying to complete a Cheryl Phillips QAYG Double Wedding Ring Quilt as a surprise for my youngest daughter's wedding gift. Thank goodness, I got it completed, and I will post pics next week. So, as to what we will cook or eat - I really don't care, as it will just be my husband and I trying to relax and enjoy the quiet!

We're having bbq baby back ribs cooked in the slow cooker. Don't no what we're having with it. Maybe cole slaw for me an small red potatoes boiled and buttered.

We don't have a traditional meal. Never gave it a thought. But now I guess I will throw some country cut ribs with Road Kill seasoning in my Crock Pot! A "tradition" is born! LOL!

sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Blog Entries
    Ours will probably be whatever one of our local restaurants has that Hubby can eat! Got his blood test results and hopefully he will be more careful to keep blood sugar down! Besides, just two of us...kids can't come.........No Dishes!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    We're going to have a couple steaks, roasted veggies on the pit and probably couple + beers. Just DH and I. he usually has to work at least part of the day. May roast some corn on the grill. Pull silks off but keep leaves on, wrap tight in foil on pit for about 10- 15 mins. Or sometimes just throw the ears on naked and roll back and forth for couple mins. Season to taste any way you see fit.

I'm going to my Sis-in-laws & taking a broccoli salad & some Rice Krispy Treats. I don't even know what she is fixing!

Whenever there's a big gathering, I think of potato salad! It's best made at least a day ahead of time, then kept in the fridge (the flavors mingle better, that way). I've also heard of people roasting yams, on the grill.

I'm not sure what we'll be doing . . . but probably something indoors.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Potato salad....yum! Or a pasta salad???

I will be lucky to grab a bag of chips or a candy bar , I work in an ER and the drunks keep us busy LOL. Sure hope we don't get any traumas from wrecks, Please tell all of your friends, families and acquaintances to call for a ride or stay put . DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE !

I decided to have a BBQ-less BBQ this year...made lasagna and have it all in the freezer waiting to be taken out and devoured.....the only BBQ item will be franks...got to have something to go along with outdoor partying.
    Will make potato salad, baked bean, cold slaw and a broccoli slaw salad to go along with the franks.
    Desserts are also in the freezer a'waiting........made creme de'menthe brownies and a Chocolate eclair cake.......
    Although appys are my favorite....
    having baked brie in crescent pastry with a bing cherry sauce.......
    a chicken wing dip that has a bit of a zing to it......
    brushetta with chucks of crusty bread and perhaps a crock of cocktail meatballs.......
    Of course, cheese & crackers and chips & dip area always a must for the kids.
    Happy holiday, all.......and here's looking forward to a wonderful autumn...........

Blog Entries
    Our grandson will be here for 3 days, and his parents come Mon.. The grandson has ordered Fried Chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy. So, guess that is what we are having! Of course a salad, some watermelon and Hot fudge Pudding. His Dad will be tired from the drive, so throw in some chocolate!! Mariah
    Have a wonderful Quilting Day, make it your way!
    Marta
    Martha Tompkins

We're having BBQ ribs, cole slaw, corn on the cob, ? vegies, and probably a cobbler for dessert.
    Have a fun weekend everyone!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious!
    Anne

Blog Entries
    I make my own potatoe salad, and a pasta salad for the kids, hot dogs, burgers and steaks, we have a camper we go to and the kids join, i also order a banana creme cake, hmmmm good, we swim, go to the dance, do a golf cart dance. later we make campfire pizza. there's a carnivale. Be safe and have a happy holiday.
    Mary

I am hoping to have baby back ribs, fresh corn on the cob, corn muffins, Iced tea, and macaroni salad...
    Dyan

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by nancyw View Post
    We're having bbq baby back ribs cooked in the slow cooker. Don't no what we're having with it. Maybe cole slaw for me an small red potatoes boiled and buttered.
    OOHHH, what's your recipe for slow cooker bbq baby backs?