Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: What's for dinner??

  1. #1
    Junior Member stephaniequeen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    San Gabriel, CA
    Posts
    152
    Sometimes I quilt and loose track of time and all of a sudden it's dinner time. {{{Needless to say I have to make something.}}} I'm sure this happens to everyone at some time or another. What I'd like to know, can you give me an easy recipe, with few ingredients, to make for dinner on one of these days??

  2. #2
    Super Member Carrie Jo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southern Michigan
    Posts
    1,080
    I threw steaks and corn on the cob and fresh asperagas on the grill.. no mess in the house that way.

  3. #3
    Power Poster cjomomma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Posts
    14,916
    Blog Entries
    2
    Chicken on a bed of green salad.

  4. #4
    Super Member ssgramma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bowling Green, KY
    Posts
    2,030
    Not much! We went up to Glendale, KY antiquing today and had lunch at The Whistlestop Cafe and PIE! Calico Pie because we had never had it. Butterscotch layer, chocolate layer, coconut layer and the best merengue. We are still overstuffed after walking around all afternoon through the shops.

  5. #5
    Super Member hopetoquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    2,873
    Paninis: so long as you have cheese, you can throw anything else in there. Tomato, cheese and basil is awesome. I have also made ones with eggs and one with chicken.

    Breakfast for dinner: french toast is great.

    I make meals and divide them into pie dishes. I use one and freeze the others. Works really well with eggplant parm and lasagne

    Spaghetti or ravioli with frozen meatballs and a vegetable

    These are all things that I make for my boys and husband. I eat clean (no dairy, sugar, flour, processed foods, caffeine, alcohol or fatty foods) so I have my own very specific list of go to foods...

    I also made a 28 day map of meals and stick to it. It makes creating a grocery list and shopping a snap. It is so easy. I also throw a few easy meals in freezer for emergencies

    Hope this helps...

  6. #6
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    wow, what a great idea for a 28 day meal plans

    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Paninis: so long as you have cheese, you can throw anything else in there. Tomato, cheese and basil is awesome. I have also made ones with eggs and one with chicken.

    Breakfast for dinner: french toast is great.

    I make meals and divide them into pie dishes. I use one and freeze the others. Works really well with eggplant parm and lasagne

    Spaghetti or ravioli with frozen meatballs and a vegetable

    These are all things that I make for my boys and husband. I eat clean (no dairy, sugar, flour, processed foods, caffeine, alcohol or fatty foods) so I have my own very specific list of go to foods...

    I also made a 28 day map of meals and stick to it. It makes creating a grocery list and shopping a snap. It is so easy. I also throw a few easy meals in freezer for emergencies

    Hope this helps...

  7. #7
    Senior Member calano1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
    Paninis: so long as you have cheese, you can throw anything else in there. Tomato, cheese and basil is awesome. I have also made ones with eggs and one with chicken.

    Breakfast for dinner: french toast is great.

    I make meals and divide them into pie dishes. I use one and freeze the others. Works really well with eggplant parm and lasagne

    Spaghetti or ravioli with frozen meatballs and a vegetable

    These are all things that I make for my boys and husband. I eat clean (no dairy, sugar, flour, processed foods, caffeine, alcohol or fatty foods) so I have my own very specific list of go to foods...

    I also made a 28 day map of meals and stick to it. It makes creating a grocery list and shopping a snap. It is so easy. I also throw a few easy meals in freezer for emergencies

    Hope this helps...
    Goodness!! You must be very organised!!!

  8. #8
    Super Member Sweeterthanwine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Stagecoach, NV
    Posts
    1,585
    One of mine is chili dogs: all you need are hot dog buns, your favorite type of hot dog and a can of whatever you like chili. Can put cheese and onions on it if you like. Quick and easy.

  9. #9
    Super Member Diana Lynne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    east coast of SC
    Posts
    1,206
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
    Sometimes I quilt and loose track of time and all of a sudden it's dinner time. {{{Needless to say I have to make something.}}} I'm sure this happens to everyone at some time or another. What I'd like to know, can you give me an easy recipe, with few ingredients, to make for dinner on one of these days??
    Golosh :D ...Its just noodles, hamburger meat, tomato sauce and paste and water and of course seasonings :wink: ...Takes less than an hour to cook..

  10. #10
    Senior Member calano1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    413
    Wanted to add earlier ....
    Curry & Rice is our go-to dish -- 20 minutes flat --- and it is njammies!!!!

    **Rice obviously ...
    **Fry some minced meat (beef/pork/chicken) with onions.
    Add curry, cumin, coriander and if you like it hot, some chillies.
    Add a tin of mixed veggies.
    Some raisins, chutney if you want.
    Heap ladles full on a boat-load of rice ... and slice some bananas on top.
    Coconut milk adds exotic taste.

  11. #11
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,423
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by calano1
    Wanted to add earlier ....
    Curry & Rice is our go-to dish -- 20 minutes flat --- and it is njammies!!!!

    **Rice obviously ...
    **Fry some minced meat (beef/pork/chicken) with onions.
    Add curry, cumin, coriander and if you like it hot, some chillies.
    Add a tin of mixed veggies.
    Some raisins, chutney if you want.
    Heap ladles full on a boat-load of rice ... and slice some bananas on top.
    Coconut milk adds exotic taste.
    Looks delicious!! I've got to try this.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    metuchen,nj
    Posts
    565
    linguine and clam sauce

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Somewhere inTexas
    Posts
    937
    Blog Entries
    1
    I make a bunch of crepes - separate them in groups of 4 with wax paper between each, and place between 2 paper plates and then a zip lock bag.They freeze well. When in a hurry, I take them from the freezer (takes baout 10-20 min to soften) place a slice of boiled ham, slice of cheese, roll up and heat in oven for 15 min. While in oven I mix Mayo, honey,and mustard to taste, and a splash of Lea and Perrins (can't spell the "W" word) as a sauce to place on top when out of oven. Had this last night and placed asparagus on the cheese before I rolled up. I always have a frozen fruit salad (done in muffin cups) so I take them out as crepes are baking. There you have it!

  14. #14
    Senior Member calano1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    413
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete
    I make a bunch of crepes - separate them in groups of 4 with wax paper between each, and place between 2 paper plates and then a zip lock bag.They freeze well. When in a hurry, I take them from the freezer (takes baout 10-20 min to soften) place a slice of boiled ham, slice of cheese, roll up and heat in oven for 15 min. While in oven I mix Mayo, honey,and mustard to taste, and a splash of Lea and Perrins (can't spell the "W" word) as a sauce to place on top when out of oven. Had this last night and placed asparagus on the cheese before I rolled up. I always have a frozen fruit salad (done in muffin cups) so I take them out as crepes are baking. There you have it!
    Goodness!!! Do you do take-aways??? I'll have some of these, please!! :lol:

  15. #15
    Super Member Scrap Happy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,423
    Blog Entries
    1
    Do you like crockpot cooking? If so here is a link to crockpot recipes with 5 ingredients or less.

    http://busycooks.about.com/od/fivein...ingredient.htm

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NW Chicago Suburb
    Posts
    379
    Take out! Choice of Chinese or Mexican

  17. #17
    Member Pigeon Patty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Missouri-dreaming of a beach
    Posts
    46
    Ok, may sound a bit unhealthy but this is for those times you describe, so here goes.
    I always keep canned chicken or canned beef on the pantry shelf, frozen mixed veges in the freezer and potatoes in our house are a stable.
    Open a can of beef, cut open a bag and wash some taters, put it all in a skillet and call it stew.
    For the chicken, add some frozen broccli, pasta of some sort, maybe a can of creamed soup and a little cheese if you have it and wallah~~~
    DINNER IS SERVED--BON APPETIT'

  18. #18
    kso
    kso is offline
    Senior Member kso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Sierra Vista, AZ
    Posts
    808
    Little Smokies braised in Catalina dressing, boiled potatoes and veggie.

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    3
    Cut one ham steak into bite size pieces.
    take 2 boxes of augratin potatoes, mix as directed in a large baking dish. Add ham and sprinkle with about 1 cup of shredded chedder cheese. Bake for sugested time and temp for the p0tatoes(usually about 25 min.at350). Cover for about 1/2 the baking time. Let stand about 10 min to let the sauce thicken. Feeds 4

    coffeycup

  20. #20
    Super Member cr12cats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    ks
    Posts
    1,111
    when i make pork chops i buy the family pack so i brown a few on booth sides and freeze for hawaiiian pork chops. then when i need them i put them in a pan with pineapple, green peppers sliced up, 1/4 c. apple vinagar,1/2 c. ketchup, 1 tbsp soy or teriyaki sauce,3 tbsp brown sugar cook on 325 for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. or put it all in crock pot for 4-6 hours. then i go back to sewing or whatever. 30 min before serving put the rice in the rice cooker and let it go. sometime will call dh to bring home some rice from china king takeout on his way home. good and easy.

  21. #21
    JACRN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SHELBYVILLE, KY.
    Posts
    1,189
    Here is my 15 minute meal.Throw some smoked sausage in the skillet,add a can of sauerkraut. While that os cooking open a can of Lucks mixed beans and heat& open a can of Lucks apples and heat. I add a dab of light margarine ,one package of splenda ,& some cinnamon and heat.

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    metuchen,nj
    Posts
    565
    I hadn't heard that recipe name in ages, my mother spelled it goolosh, but same thing. Still make it too.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,370
    what about macroni cheese with bacon bits /chopped fried onion-- and pinch mustard in the cheese sauce, can serve with salad too. very quick last minute stuff.

  24. #24
    Senior Member winter012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    El Paso, Texas
    Posts
    579
    Those recipes & ideas all sound so good, I'll take some of each please!!! Any way to get them all printed off in a nice organized listing for us?? Maybe call it the Quilting Board Pieced ____________(something). I'd sure like that!!!! My go-to recipe, by the way, is a package of Kielbasa or smoked sausage; a bag of Southern-style frozen hash browned potatoes, & one large yellow sweet onion, chopped. Thaw the potatoes. Saute the onions in a 12" non-stick skillet till they are soft but not browned. Add the potatoes & about 2 T bacon drippings (if you have them, otherwise, use olive or canola oil); cook & stir until potatoes are hot all the way through; add sausage that has been sliced into 1/2" moons. Stir & cook till potatoes start to brown & sausage is hot all the way through.This is easier than it sounds.

  25. #25
    Google Goddess craftybear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Central Indiana (USA)
    Posts
    30,663
    Blog Entries
    194
    thanks for the link

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
    Do you like crockpot cooking? If so here is a link to crockpot recipes with 5 ingredients or less.

    http://busycooks.about.com/od/fivein...ingredient.htm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.