Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Why take skins off and seeds out of tomatoes? >

Why take skins off and seeds out of tomatoes?

Why take skins off and seeds out of tomatoes?

Old 05-21-2014, 07:42 AM

Some upscale restaurants save all the seeds and "slimy" stuff and call it tomato caviar. Serve a dollop on top of an individual salad.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:34 PM

An olde trick of my DGM, Use a large double pan with the drain holes in the second pan, fill pan two thirds with water, and bring to boil. Put tomatoes into boiling water for three minutes and then immediately run cold water over the tomatoes and they will peel like skin off of butter.

Also works with peaches, nectarines., and similarly skinned veggies and fruits. Sometimes,
I just run my knife over the tomato, then it will peel just fine. Love bacon and tomato sandwiches.

We bought a sqeeze-o off of the internet and DH will run my cooked pan of tomatoes through it, and it makes for quick canning.
No need to core, peel, or take the seeds out, (just any bad spot) and it saves all the jucie of the tomato.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:40 AM

The seeds will leave hard bumps in your sauce, and the skins are kind of cellophane texture if left on. If you will cut a small X on the bottom of your tomato, drop them in boiling water for about 30 seconds, then into an ice bath, the skins will slide right off.. You could also use what is known as a China Cap to sieve the tomatoes and get the seeds out. Hope this helps
Old 06-01-2014, 03:27 PM

An easy way to peel tomatoes (and peaches too) is to drop them whole in a pot of boiling water and leave them there for about a minute. As soon as you see the peel split on a tomato take them out and put in a bowl of cold water. The peels just slide right off. I have never messed with removing seeds for any recipe.
Old 06-02-2014, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by solstice3 View Post
A Victoria strainer works magic if you can find one. I love mine
I've had mine for 40+ years.... it still works great.