• Recipes
  • Wonder if this is true. >
  • Wonder if this is true.

• Wonder if this is true.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:48 AM

Yes and no mayo.
    Old 10-09-2016, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca
    [QdoUOTE=quiltingcandy;7671525]I doubt that an onion would cause a problem - there are eggs and oil in mayonnaise which is much more likely to go bad if it gets warm. There are preservatives in mayo.
    Does this mean when I use only half an onion I don!t need to toss the other half. That's what I always do as I only buy those white onions and around here those are at least baseball sized.[/QUOTE] You can chop and freeze the other 1/2 of onion for soups and sauces. At this time of year the prices are coming down on seasonal veg's so I chop up hot peppers-green peppers and onions and freeze them together in small zip bags - ready for a nice big pot of chili. I'm the designated chili chef so when I make a gallon pot this part is done.
    Old 10-09-2016, 12:20 PM

We have onions from our garden and we keep them most of the winter at room temperature. Some years they last until February. Never throw over leftover onion. I have a covered bowl we keep the leftovers in the refrigerator in. Some years the onions don't seem to keep as well so I chop them all up and freeze them. They are just fine for cooking. We also have a hard time using up a stalk of celery before it wilts. I chop it up and freeze it also.
    Old 10-09-2016, 12:41 PM

A lot of foods will grow bacteria when left at room temperature. Mayo is not the culprit, you don't even need to refrigerate it for safety, but for quality. Mayo is an acidic food (made with vinegar or lemon juice) and commercial mayo, the eggs in it are pasteurized.
    Old 10-09-2016, 02:32 PM

I keep my onions in the frig, commonly only use part and have never tossed the rest. I've never been sick from this nor has my husband or anyone who has eaten at our house.
    Old 10-09-2016, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by ptquilts
    A lot of foods will grow bacteria when left at room temperature. Mayo is not the culprit, you don't even need to refrigerate it for safety, but for quality. Mayo is an acidic food (made with vinegar or lemon juice) and commercial mayo, the eggs in it are pasteurized.
    I do believe the label states refrigerate after using....I don't think it's only for quality purposes, but never thought of that for the reason.......
    Old 10-09-2016, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B
    Omg! I should have constant food poisoning or worse! I rarely use a whole onion at one time...what I don't use is put in a ziplock and set in fridge....I'm in good health.....
    Same here, I keep onions in a bowl on the counter. After I peel one and unused portion goes into the fridge in a ziplock back.
    Old 10-13-2016, 04:19 PM

I have been putting cut onions in the fridge, in a ziplock bag for 50 years. Hmmmmmm
    Old 10-14-2016, 03:37 AM

I have never thrown away an unused onion. I just wrap it up and put it in the refrig. I can't imagine throwing the unused part away. The onions have been in the refrig for a long time. I have even frozen some chopped onions for later use.
    Old 10-14-2016, 04:45 AM
    Power Poster

I have never thought to throw away the onion I don't use. That seems ridiculous to me. I chop it and put in freezer to add to baked recipes. Same with bell peppers and celery. Pasteurized mayo does not have to be refrigerated. Homemade mayo does.

Last edited by Onebyone; 10-14-2016 at 04:52 AM.