Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!! >

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Ok - so major household debate has reached a scary conclusion!!!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:39 PM

I have an upstairs sewing area (sewing/embroidery machine, computer, ironing equipt., etc.) in my bedroom plus an entire small basement room with a very large cutting table, design wall, and lots of storage shelves, etc. (fabric stash is there). Having the 2 areas works very well for me because sometimes I can't be downstairs much or for very long (needy dog; DAV husband) and I can still do sewing upstairs. I also do some hand quilting both upstairs and down.

Until the beginning of April, I had a 12' Grace frame set up with a mid-arm machine and a practice quilt on it ... in a large basement room, but I had to dismantle the frame and find safe places to store the parts and the machine. Our son is jobless and broke and has come home and reclaimed his former downstairs space. Don't know when I'll get the space back again and that's really the only place in the house that's out of everyone's way and big enough to accommodate a large quilt frame.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
1 scullery
Hmmmmm... I see the definite use of most of the rooms. Not real clear on what a scullery is for, maybe a kitchen-cleanup room separate from the kitchen? That's a nice idea: - but it smacks suspiciously of a space which can be "liberated" to be either the sewing room, or AT LEAST a place to stash one's stash!! muahahahahaha!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bev
I thought I was bad, but I can see I'm a rank amateur.
I moved from our very small office/computer room into the bedroom left vacant when my granddaughter went off to college. I thought it would be perfect. There was a double door closet, three blank walls, and a decent size window. But I have filled it up already and am bursting at the seams. How did I ever manage with the smaller room? However we will be downsizing into a smaller house as soon as my husband retires in January. My DH tells me that I have way too much stuff for "just a simple hobby" like quilt making. So, I've been warned that a lot of it will have to go. We will not have the extra bedroom/quilting room. I can't even imagine how I can get rid of as many of my things as he says I'll have to. What I'm thinking of is leading him by the nose to a house (hopefully I'll find the right one) that has a Florida Room, or enclosed porch. Then I'll convince him that we don't need a room like that for the purpose it was meant for, and I will, quick as a bunny, swoop in with all my quilting stuff and get it set up before he knows what hit him. When it's a done deal it will be too much work to change it. I may end up better off because it'll have more windows which means better natural light. What do y'all think? Is this a possibility?
My DH also told me I had to get rid of my "stuff".....I said fine, walked out to his garage and started tossing his "stuff" in a garbage can.......heh heh heh....I still have MY stuff!!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 PM

my plan was to move the youngest to the basement he was the last one left and take over his room for my misc crafts but then one son moved back home and now my SIL is living with us which will probably be forever which means no sewing room oh theres the family room oh yeah that wont work either it is filled with baby stuff from the grans hmmm we will have to figure something out....
Old 04-27-2010, 08:57 PM

I hearya. I moved into this house 2 yrs ago, had an extra bedroom. Of course one of the kids came back, all my sewing stuff out of that room is stored at one end of my bedroom, hope the kid moves out again soon! I mean, I'd do anything needed to help, but I'm getting to the point that I think I'm entitled to what I want at least now and then!!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by tooMuchFabric
Originally Posted by PurpleBecca
1 scullery
Hmmmmm... I see the definite use of most of the rooms. Not real clear on what a scullery is for, maybe a kitchen-cleanup room separate from the kitchen? That's a nice idea: - but it smacks suspiciously of a space which can be "liberated" to be either the sewing room, or AT LEAST a place to stash one's stash!! muahahahahaha!
I'm afraid not - the sculery is the heart of activity on the cooking front - I am a keen cook too! As we have a small farmhouse - I use the scullery to house my enormous chest freezer and the sink, washing machine, dishwasher and shelves and shelves of built in storage - all full of food and cooking equipment AND this work top is strictly sewing free - so its atually where I do the cooking - just using the kitchen to ACTUALLY cook on the stove. (and we eat in the kitchen too!)

:D
Old 04-28-2010, 12:42 AM

I have to laugh at all of you! I don't feel so bad after reading how eveyone moves things around. We are empty nesters as well and have a 5 bedroom house. I have a sewing room, one room is a craft-yarn-quilting stuff room, one room is half fabric, the den was taken over by my quilting frame and machine, and then my hubby decided he wanted to get into model trains, so we gave up another bedroom. The entire downstairs is mostly quilting and so far, the dining room is still for eating in. I wanted to set up the quilting frame in there but my hubby said no, but that worked out ok,it's too hard to have company eat on tv trays in the living room!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:14 AM

I agree that this decision is probably the best since you got your family to agree to it. That's the hardest part right there!! :thumbup:
Happy sewing
Dee
Old 04-28-2010, 05:42 AM

I am a new quilter at the age of 69, and I think this is the funniest forum around. I'm sitting here laughing my head off, and everything makes so much sense to me. Afterall, what's a house for????? I don't have a hubby, so I can spread everything out everywhere. Going on vacations to the beach with my sewing machine sometimes takes other awhile to get use to, but....well....as so aptly said often times.....priorities!!!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by WonderAli
I am a new quilter at the age of 69, and I think this is the funniest forum around. I'm sitting here laughing my head off, and everything makes so much sense to me. Afterall, what's a house for????? I don't have a hubby, so I can spread everything out everywhere. Going on vacations to the beach with my sewing machine sometimes takes other awhile to get use to, but....well....as so aptly said often times.....priorities!!!!!
Welcome to the group. You will have fun here.