Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Favorite sewing machine??? >

Favorite sewing machine???

Favorite sewing machine???

Old 04-28-2010, 09:32 AM

I have the Bernina 1230 and it's 20 yrs old now. I still love it. I got it second hand in 1996 and I will never have anything else but a Bernina.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Welcome to the board! I have a Jem Platinum that I love. I also have a Janome 9000, which is about 14 years old and I will probably never give that up. Just this past weekend, I got a Bernina 180E to do quilting with. Seems to be a good machine.

There is at least one new Janome coming out on May 1st (Saturday). You can see it on their website, I think it's the 7700 model. Looks like a very nice machine.

Being new into quilting, you might not know yet what features you would like to have. I have "over 40 eyes" and can't see the eye of a needle anymore, so a needle threader is a must for me. I also love the knee lift lever, which lifts the presser foot so you can keep both your hands on your fabric. A sensor to tell you when the bobbin is running low is handy. Some machines offer a thread cutter; you push a button when you're done with stitching a line and the machine cuts the thread for you. That's a nice feature to eliminate thread tails.

If you have a sewing machine dealer near you, the best thing is to go to that place and play with the machines. You will figure out which features you want. Also do some research on the internet, there is a ton of information there. It's not going to be an easy decision to make! :)

Good luck and be sure to share what you got!
Old 04-28-2010, 12:25 PM

Be sure to check out the Berninas. If the new ones are out of your price range don't forget to look at used ones. Bernina owners love their machines and you will seldom find used models. But they are well worth the wait.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:33 PM

I have the Viking Sapphire and it is a big machine. It has a 10 inch throat and needle down so it is nice for free motion. Now if it only had a stitch regulator.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:58 PM

You can find used Bernina's.....................because we keep trading in and upgrading to newer models! hehehehe
Old 04-28-2010, 05:35 PM

I thought that I would always be a Bernina user, too, until my MIL upgraded her Pfaff and gave me her Pfaff 2170 with embroidery machine. I am really enjoying it, especially the built-in walking foot.

Keep looking and trying machines. There are a lot of good ones out there and each of us has a favorite. Now I have two favorites, Bernina and Pfaff, but I would also be looking at the Viking if I were shopping today. And I know Janome is loved by many...

:-D :-D
Old 04-28-2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by BarbaraA
You can find used Bernina's.....................because we keep trading in and upgrading to newer models! hehehehe
I agree!!!!!!!! I actually wore out my first Bernina, then went to a Janome. I am now back to Bernina. I will never switch again!!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 PM

All the manufacturers mentioned are awesome! Have heard great things! Wanted to just throw out, as it's not been mentioned, that you might want to check into Babylock. Mine is many years old and not sure how it rates today compared to some of the above. I love it tho (Quilters choice). Had the crafters choice and traded up to the Quilters Choice. Lots of different stitches.. Needle threader is such an awesome feature. Lots of different feet/extended sew table, and knee lift lever. I swear it sews for me! I'm not a patient or good sewer, and constantly distracted by kids. It's taken good care of me yet you dont need to go to night school to figure out how to use. I was so excited I took a Babylock weekend course with Nancy Zieman and played with all their machines. Just really have loved the company and our local shop.. Think that's the HUGE key.. Find a shop that's been around awhile and not going anywhere and who stands by their product. At the Babylock weekend, I bought a serger and once again, after a short time using, upgraded (it's now been downgraded to corner of living room BUT I know when I'm ready I can go back to shop and take classes and brush up on my serger skills). Good luck.. Go play with a bunch of machines and see which fits your needs best!! Have fun!!
Leigh
Old 04-28-2010, 06:57 PM

I also have the Janome 6600P. It is an awesome machine.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:34 AM

I picked up a Janome 6600 for $1049 about a 1 1/2 mo. ago. very nice machine!!!! There's a new machine the Horizon 7700 coming out to replace this one so prices have been dropping.