I am about to loose it

Old 04-29-2010, 07:12 AM

At this moment I just stay in my daughter's room and only go to my In-laws side for dinner. She does likes to feed people. She feels insulted that I barely go there, but during the day she is in and out often, complains that she doesn't even have time to do her nails, but doesn't really do anything constructive all day long. Today I can hear her on the phone yapping away about how a person she knew 45 year ago had died this morning. She has not being in contact with her for the last ten, but is still hysterical and saying how shocked she is about the death. I asked how old the person was...97. Was she expecting eternal life? Her hysteria lasted a booming ten minutes. Next time I hear from her, she is in her closet planning what to wear for the funeral...she needs to get new shoes because the ones she has don't match her new purse and she can not go out if they don't and trying to figure out if the funeral home is anywhere near Atlantic City and a very nice restaurant she once visited. Just like that, her dead "friend" is forgotten, time to party.

I guess I must be overly sensitive. I have found myself crying over nothing... Friday is closer than it looks; I keep telling myself.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:12 AM

That's one way of handling greif, to quickly change the subject
to something totally happy,a "partyng" topic.
I feel bad for all of you,its surely a challenging situation.
On the topic of no machine,it would be a good time to cross-stitch Biblical verses,and to meditate on them.At least it would calm you,add some peace into your day.
Friday is always closer than what it seems.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:32 AM

There are many MIL stories to hear about. I had my fill and she was a very nice lady....sometimes.
The best cure for one is DISTANCE.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:37 AM

I so hate to hear about MIL's like this and pity you who have to endure them. My MIL was marvelous. I miss her so much. I'm trying my best to follow her example in my relationship with my two wonderful DIL's.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:50 AM

I have been where you are. It gets better! I hope you get the job. You will get six weeks away from your MIL. LOL!
Old 04-29-2010, 09:51 AM

Actually, my MIL was where I got the idea for the chocolate exlax. She once told my FIL he'd better be nice to her or she would poison him and he wouldn't know it. Well, I guess he didn't behave himself, so she put exlax in his coffee. After a few days, he told her to call the dr and make him an appoint. He had a problem, and needed to see the doc. She then told him there was nothing wrong with him except the exlax she had put in his coffee for the past 3 days...lol
Old 04-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I think I have all of you beat when it comes to MIL's. Mine is the queen b of Mil's. I could tell you some terrible stories. Let me put it this my DH won't call them unless I make him do it. Everytime we are around them they have to talk about how poor they are, as if we are gonna ask for some money and we have never asked them for any help. These people are extremely well off and because we are poor that means we must want what they have. I can't stand people like that. We just stay away from them as much as possible. We live 6 miles from them, that's too close for me.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I know I wouldn't do anything to harm someone or cause some physical pain but it's very therapeutic to plan revenge! I went to a therapist for awhile during a bad time and she had me plot revenge for everyone being mean and hurtful to me. We laughed over different things I came up with and it really did help me to realize how much better I'd be by eliminating these people from my life and they were family members. I haven't seen them in years and feel blessed to have them out of my life.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:06 PM

Dealing with my MIL has made me all the more determined to be the opposite when it comes my turn to be the MIL. Hopefully, I will only have one chance to get it right. My DM & DF died 23 years ago and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss them. Once I told my MIL that I had hoped that we could have a better relationship because "she was the only mother I had". She said she knew I never liked her because the day I met her, I didn't like the ice cream she served. This was in 1971! I also had the nerve to not like the dress she made for my wedding. My colors were fall, peach & green, and she made her dress in purple. I stood there with my mouth open, not knowing whether to laugh or cry. She turned and left my house. In a way, it cleared the air because at least I knew what I was dealing with. When they were in FL, we saw them maybe once a year. Now, they will be 20 minutes away. I can't wait. Not.
Wendy B
Old 04-29-2010, 07:43 PM

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time. My ex husbands' mother (bless her soul) liked me better than him. Even took my side in the divorce. She and I got along well. I know how lucky I was.