Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling left out. >

Feeling left out.

Feeling left out.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1
I belonged to a local guild for several years, attended almost every meeting and went on 2 trips. It seemed funny to me that nobody even knew my name, even though I volunteered to help out at the quilt show and on the committees. My offers were never taken up, only the select few were allowed to help out. The last straw was in a quilt shop while on a trip to a quilt show. The leader of the trip said that my quilts were not really quilts because they were not hand quilted. That was it, no more guild meetings for me. In 2 years, not 1 call to see where I was. I don't need them, their loss.
I'd be in real trouble with that bunch as I have carpal tunnel AND rheumytoid arthritis - I CAN't quilt by hand anymore.

:thumbdown: :evil:
Old 04-30-2010, 11:06 AM

I joined a quilt guild here and went to one meeting. It was so LONG and so BORING I never went back! It lasted almost 4 hours. I guess I'm just not a joiner.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:14 AM

I think it's true in any group that a certain few feel like they do everything and a certain group feel like they are never asked.

I like the roll call idea. Im in several community and civic groups and I think that what happens is that you KNOW so and so will get it done or has always done it so that's the path of least resistance.

IMHO, all jobs should move around and nobody should remain the committee person in charge of anything for an extended period of time (no matter how great of a job they do) because it either stagnates the process or burns the person out.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:21 AM

As one of the 'burn-out victims' of several organizations, I try really hard not to volunteer for anything, but seems like I open my mouth before putting brain in gear all too many times. And in a fairly small communnity everybody knows who can and will get things done, so oftimes it is just automatically assumed that those people WILL do it all.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I joined a quilt guild here and went to one meeting. It was so LONG and so BORING I never went back! It lasted almost 4 hours. I guess I'm just not a joiner.
The business meeting part is one I'm trying to change in my guild. I have shortened it to only the essentials. It's boring and very few members care about the behind the scene workings. But the charter members put things in the by laws that are very formal. I have a few charter members still in the guild and it's still their baby so I am going slow in the changes. We get grants for community service projects so being registered as a non profit is a must as well has having elected officers and a board. So there has to be a business meeting and a record of it. It's hard to keep the pace even for the new younger members to feel interested and active and keep the older more set in their ways members non shocked. I'm trying to implement two different workshops instead of the usual one per month. One for new modern patterns, techniques and computer savvy. One for the more traditional patterns and hand work. This way the members can be comfortable in the workshop of their choice. I would love to hear what other guilds are doing to make everyone have a great guild experience.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The business meeting part is one I'm trying to change in my guild. I have shortened it to only the essentials. It's boring and very few members care about the behind the scene workings. But the charter members put things in the by laws that are very formal. I have a few charter members still in the guild and it's still their baby so I am going slow in the changes. We get grants for community service projects so being registered as a non profit is a must as well has having elected officers and a board. So there has to be a business meeting and a record of it. It's hard to keep the pace even for the new younger members to feel interested and active and keep the older more set in their ways members non shocked. I'm trying to implement two different workshops instead of the usual one per month. One for new modern patterns, techniques and computer savvy. One for the more traditional patterns and hand work. This way the members can be comfortable in the workshop of their choice. I would love to hear what other guilds are doing to make everyone have a great guild experience.

You must be a tremendous guild president is all I can say. It is refreshing to hear a president who is so sensitive to the needs of the members. I appreciate your remarks about shortening the business part of the meeting and getting on to subjects of more interest to the members. It is very hard to satisfy everyone. My objective for guild membership is to make new quilt friends and learn new things about quilting---short and simple.......
Old 04-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

I am so sorry to hear this. As someone else said, it is their loss. Is there another guild, maybe in the town next door?
Old 04-30-2010, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
Originally Posted by BellaBoo

You must be a tremendous guild president is all I can say. It is refreshing to hear a president who is so sensitive to the needs of the members. I appreciate your remarks about shortening the business part of the meeting and getting on to subjects of more interest to the members. It is very hard to satisfy everyone. My objective for guild membership is to make new quilt friends and learn new things about quilting---short and simple.......

Would you come be our guild president?? :mrgreen:
Old 05-01-2010, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by Darlene
I have heard of this in the treament of a newcomer to a guild. I never considered joining one because of this. There are cliques in a lot clubs.
That' how I feel too. You guys are my quilt group :)
Old 05-01-2010, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
What is going on? This is the second post I read this morning about rude quilters!! I really didn't realize there was such a thing! Even my hubby mentioned always meeting happy friendly quilters, and now this?? Is it another "sign of the time we live in now?"
Sometimes it seems that people get involved in "the group" rather than remembering what the group's original intent is. They get involved in each other's lives as well as their egos and become group snobs. I've been in several groups that turned sour because of that -- well they turned sour for me. It became more about who was "better" rather than the actual fellowship.

We at the QB seem to be on the right track. Stay here with us. I have felt so welcome here -- even with my "dumb" questions. And I've always received kindness and lots of help.