Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Flynn frame >

Flynn frame

Flynn frame

Old 04-30-2010, 12:49 PM

seems to be a love-it or hate-it thing. I love mine. The only quilts I ever quilted without puckers on the back are those I did with the Flynn frame.

I will say, have only used it with small quilts tho.
Old 04-30-2010, 12:55 PM

Bought one after trying it out at the Lancaster Quilt show. I found it a lot of fun when I played with it at the show. It was the end of the day, and I test drove it for quilt a while. Haven't had a chance to use it at home, but can hardly wait til I have the time to do so.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

i'm one of those people who have it, use it with success, and i've done king size quilts on it.

learning to quilt on a frame is completely different then sitting at your machine and doing FMQ.

just as you had to learn sitting FMQ you have to put in the time to learn FMQ on a frame, either flynn or any other brand.

i use this frame with a 5 inch throat and while i have limitations its not with the frame - its with the 5 inch throat machine.

if you baste your quilt and pull out the middle rod you have the ability to quilt 15 inches - so clearly a 12 inch block wouldn't be a problem if you have a machine with a large enough throat.

95% of the time i baste my quilt first, pull out the middle rod, and then i do the detailed quilting. this allows me to advance the quilt forward/back with the needle down to quilt a 12 inch design without having to cut the threads.

if you want to try frame quilting (its not for everyone) its the least expensive way to try it. if you find that you love frame quilting you will certainly want to upgrade to a larger frame and larger throat machine but that will be thousands of dollars.

for me, it was an easy decision, i didn't know if i would enjoy frame quilting so for the $150 investment it was well worth it and i've quilted about 20 quilts on the frame now.

i'm upgrade one day but as my budget permits - i don't have thousands to invest in one lump sum.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
i'm one of those people who have it, use it with success, and i've done king size quilts on it.

learning to quilt on a frame is completely different then sitting at your machine and doing FMQ.

just as you had to learn sitting FMQ you have to put in the time to learn FMQ on a frame, either flynn or any other brand.

i use this frame with a 5 inch throat and while i have limitations its not with the frame - its with the 5 inch throat machine.

if you baste your quilt and pull out the middle rod you have the ability to quilt 15 inches - so clearly a 12 inch block wouldn't be a problem if you have a machine with a large enough throat.

95% of the time i baste my quilt first, pull out the middle rod, and then i do the detailed quilting. this allows me to advance the quilt forward/back with the needle down to quilt a 12 inch design without having to cut the threads.
Do you mean you put the quilt on the frame and using the frame, machine baste, and then reroll the quilt on the frame pull out the middle rod and then do the actual quilting?
Old 04-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nursie76

Do you mean you put the quilt on the frame and using the frame, machine baste, and then reroll the quilt on the frame pull out the middle rod and then do the actual quilting?
yes, that is the typical way i do it. it much faster and easier for me to machine baste than hand baste.

sometimes if i don't mind SITD on the quilt i'll do that and then pull out the middle rod and do the fancy stuff.

sometimes i'll use regular thread for machine basting and other times i'll use the water soluble thread - it just depends which will work best on that quilt.

if its a real fancy design that will cross over the basting stitches at numerous locations i'll use the water soluble thread. if i won't have many crossings of thread i'll use regular thread because its cheaper.

you don't have to wash the quilt to dissolve the water soluble thread - you can just spray it with water and let it sit for a few moments and it will dissolve.

its really fast to machine baste on the flynn i take stitches that are about 3 inches in size and its very easy to just cut the threads and pull them out at the end.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:27 PM

machine.
yes, that is the typical way i do it. it much faster and easier for me to machine baste than hand baste.

sometimes if i don't mind SITD on the quilt i'll do that and then pull out the middle rod and do the fancy stuff.

sometimes i'll use regular thread for machine basting and other times i'll use the water soluble thread - it just depends which will work best on that quilt.

if its a real fancy design that will cross over the basting stitches at numerous locations i'll use the water soluble thread. if i won't have many crossings of thread i'll use regular thread because its cheaper.

you don't have to wash the quilt to dissolve the water soluble thread - you can just spray it with water and let it sit for a few moments and it will dissolve.

its really fast to machine baste on the flynn i take stitches that are about 3 inches in size and its very easy to just cut the threads and pull them out at the end.
Do you have a pic of your machine basting?
Old 04-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by knlsmith
machine.

Do you have a pic of your machine basting?

no, not right now, i just finished quilting 4 quilts about 3 weeks ago and they all been sent to their new owners with the basting stitches removed.

when i go to quilt another one i'd be happy to take pics and post them for you guys.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:04 PM

Thanks Klue, that would be awesome!

One more question, when you say you baste on the Flynn, it still is a type of FMQ right, with the feed dogs down?
Old 04-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Banned

One more question, when you say you baste on the Flynn, it still is a type of FMQ right, with the feed dogs down?
yes its all FMQ, i never have the feed dogs up.

i take a stitch and then move the frame about 3-4 inches and take a stitch.

i know before hand exactly where i'll be taking the basting stitches because i mark my quilt top with all my quilt designs before i load it onto my frame.

then i do my basting stitches, then i pull the rod, then i do the fancy stuff.

if you want to do an all over border to border design you don't need to baste first.

if your sewing machine has about 5-6 inches throat space you can quilt an all over design thats about 3 inches or less without ever having to stop except to change bobbin thread.

you just quilt along and when you need to advance the quilt you'll stop with needle down and move the quilt exposing new area to quilt - and off you go.

i can do an allover design for a twin size quilt in about 2-3 hours depending on the depth of the design.
Old 10-14-2010, 05:10 PM

Thanks so much to Klue for the informative messages. I still am on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to go for a Flynn Frame, but it helps seeing someone who successfully uses one to do King Size quilts.

yes its all FMQ, i never have the feed dogs up.

i take a stitch and then move the frame about 3-4 inches and take a stitch.

i know before hand exactly where i'll be taking the basting stitches because i mark my quilt top with all my quilt designs before i load it onto my frame.

then i do my basting stitches, then i pull the rod, then i do the fancy stuff.

if you want to do an all over border to border design you don't need to baste first.

if your sewing machine has about 5-6 inches throat space you can quilt an all over design thats about 3 inches or less without ever having to stop except to change bobbin thread.

you just quilt along and when you need to advance the quilt you'll stop with needle down and move the quilt exposing new area to quilt - and off you go.

i can do an allover design for a twin size quilt in about 2-3 hours depending on the depth of the design.