Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Starting the grandmothers flower garden quilt, and surprise! >

Starting the grandmothers flower garden quilt, and surprise!

Starting the grandmothers flower garden quilt, and surprise!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:02 AM
Power Poster

I have a GFG that I'm making. I tote it around with me and work when I can. It's going to take me forever but I'm having fun with it.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by granniebj
Thanks ladies for all your advice...I'm leaning towards doing something alittle different....guess I'll just look at all the links you suggested! Its hard to do on my old computer at home, but here at my daughters (if the little ones permitt) its easier!
I have started doing some hexes....ordered them from the site suggested here....I need "evening" work so I am doing a common center hex surrounded by one row of a mottled color. I plan to then put them together to resemble a field of wild flowers to become a wall hanging for over our bed. I can't see myself making enough for a whole bed quilt beings all our beds are queen or king....LOL! I'm too old and would never finish!!!
Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 PM

I have just finished one (my first) and I used a contrasting color in the center of the flower surrounded by the six hexagons on the outside, which makes it look like a flower. I used a lot of scraps, batiks and hand dyes, and I like it a lot. It takes forever, but it's relaxing, and I miss working on it. It's wall hanging size.
Old 04-30-2010, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by farmer623
I have just finished one (my first) and I used a contrasting color in the center of the flower surrounded by the six hexagons on the outside, which makes it look like a flower. I used a lot of scraps, batiks and hand dyes, and I like it a lot. It takes forever, but it's relaxing, and I miss working on it. It's wall hanging size.
Well, now you have the hang of it, you need to start another!
Old 04-30-2010, 03:10 PM

Fons and Porter have a plexiglass hexagon ruler that was pretty cheap at JoAnn's (maybe $6?)that allows you to cut hex's from strips. You can cut a lot really fast with it. I also use the papers, but after I bought some of the 1 inch size, I found a web site that has free hexagon graph paper. This is useful for drawing out your design and if you make them bigger, you can print out your own paper pieces on cardstock. I can get 14 on a page. It's nice to not have to go out to the store or wait for an order to come in. I have mostly put together rosettes with 6 hex's of one color around a center. I haven't got any further with my pattern than that. But, if you look at antique quilt books at the library or something, you'll find some really neat ways to put them together. I like the diamond shapes that you can join together to make a star.

Sorry for rambling on, but I love hex quilts and thought Id share...

Kris
Old 04-30-2010, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by farmer623
Sounds like the one I am attempting. Do you have a picture you could share?
Old 05-01-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by granniebj
I thought drawing and cutting out all those hexagons would drive me nuts! It's actually relaxing to do it while I watch tv! Of course finding the time is the most difficult! I don't know how some of you manage to get all that sewing done! I know some of you still have full time jobs. I must be the most unorganized person on earth!
I haven't decided how to put this quilt together! I discovered there are many ways and I thought this was a design that remained the same. Any ideas? Thx
check out this site for different setting ideas http://www.laurassewingstudio.com/Em...GMFG/gmfg.html
Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Here's a quick picture of the one I did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-32679.jpe
Views:	156
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	32679  
Old 05-01-2010, 12:20 PM

Beautiful........and I love the border!!
Old 05-01-2010, 03:49 PM

farmer623, I love the quilt ou did! I have wondered what a bunch of the rosettes would look like all mashed together. Fantastic!