Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling left out. >

Feeling left out.

Feeling left out.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:29 AM

The nerve of some people. I thought about joining this rather large guild in another town but was told by a long standing member not to bother that they had all turned into a bunch of snobs & that she was not going to continue her membership. I'm glad she told me this. Another guild a few miles away that started out real nice has been invaded by the LQS & they have taken over & want you to only use their fabric so 2 very dear & special ladies to me have since gone to another guild. Both are top of the line excellent quilters too. A couple of years ago I cleaned out the stash of stuff that my mom gave me because I would never use some of the stuff. I donated 5 big bags of fabric to a church group & thought about joining them as they sew for missions. Because I don't hand quilt (carpal tunnel both hands) & do machine quilting I was treated like the illegimate kid at the family reunion. This was by one person who seemed to run the place so I passed on it. Hey be a independent start your own group. Advertise it as have you been left out of the loop in your guild or felt like you were being treated unfair. Bet you get lots of new members.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:06 AM

Sorry this happened to you and it's the exact reason I haven't joined any guilds near me. My neighbor invited me to them but I know her personality and if she recommends it then I really don't want to join.

I notice you're almost a neighbor to me when I lived in Lynn. Maybe it's a Massachusetts thing? Just kidding everyone from MA. Born and brought up there so I can relate to rude behavior from some people.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:11 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your unhappy experience. Our quilt guild here in Big Bear Lake has the most helpful, outgoing people one would ever want. We just made a "heart" quilt for a member who was just diagnosed with Lou Gherigs. We all made a 6" heart that was put into a quilt. We only have 82 members and we had 100 blocks for the quilt, many made by members who didn't know our Judy. I really hate to hear of any people treating other so badly...
Old 05-01-2010, 10:25 AM

So sorry they treated you so bad. It hurts, I know because someone did the same to me at the local guild. A woman said "did you save me a seat, you know we always sit here". I was sitting next to the woman she was talking to. No one told me seats had special names attached. I never went back either. Get more done at home on my own. Olivia
Old 05-01-2010, 10:30 AM

It is so sad that there are people like that. Even if I don't like someone, I am polite to them. You are the better person. I know that those people are miserable or they wouldn't be so mean and petty. I joined a American Sewing group, it is not too laarge and I loved it. Even tho I am a little shy I felt at home. Also, even tho I am not the perfect quilter/sewer, I found out they weren't all perfect either. I do the best I can and that is enough for me. Look at some of the old quilts, most were certainly not perfect but were made with love. And that is more important.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:24 AM

I'm sorry they hurt your feelings and made you feel unwanted.
I don blame you for not going back who needs to insulted and hurt like that. Find another group don't stay home just because they are so thoughless.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:32 PM
PJO

I'm so sorry that you were treated so rudely. The quilters that I know are some of the nicest people you would ever want to meet. Hard to believe that quilters could act so nasty, but don't let it get you down. This board is the nicest place to be. Everyone is respectful and very encouraging. We're very glad to have you sit at our table!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 12:52 PM

Why do we need a guild anyway? I belonged to one for several years.....was secretary, then treasurer, then newsletter, etc. So I know behind the scenes happenings....... Eventually, the realization that I was beating my out and wearing myself out and for what???? I hated the boring business meetings, the charity work days had turned into a "sweatshop atmosphere" where we busted our behinds to assembly line produce quilts that were never seen again. And I was stupid enough to PAY Dues to be a part of this!!!

My ideal is to just get together with others that like to quilt without any formal organization with so called by-law
Old 05-01-2010, 12:53 PM

Why do we need a guild anyway? I belonged to one for several years.....was secretary, then treasurer, then newsletter, etc. So I know behind the scenes happenings....... Eventually, the realization that I was beating my brains out and wearing myself out and for what???? I hated the boring business meetings, the charity work days had turned into a "sweatshop atmosphere" where we busted our behinds to assembly-line produce quilts that were never seen again. And I was stupid enough to PAY Dues to be a part of this!!!

My ideal is to just get together with others that like to quilt without any formal organization with so called by-laws and rules and DUES.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:37 PM

The same kind of thing happen to me but it was because I worked and all the other ladies did not, I just never fit in.