Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Feeling left out. >

Feeling left out.

Feeling left out.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie
As many of you know, my local county guild won't let me join them because I'm a man. They actually have the "no men" exclusion written into their bylaws.
Hey Eddie! If you don't mind the 3 day drive out & then back again, you can come & join my guild! We'd LOVE to have a guy quilter!!! :D
Old 05-02-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
you know, I wish we could all get together and have a good old fashioned quilting bee. I would really like that, but most of you live too far away from my house
I have been longing for that too - but only if I can bring my machine! LOL :lol:
Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 AM

Eddie that guild is descriminating and that's not right. You deserve to join. You seem like such a nice person and if I was you I would start a guild and show them bitties up, The guild I was in has men in it becauce you can't descriminate so I can't see how they can put that in thier bylaws.

Cookie
Old 05-02-2010, 08:15 AM

Again, one wonders about why some things are tolerated. We have one man in our guild who is a great addtition...and soon we will have another join us........I think over the years I have only met one or two people who are just not happy and tend to spread their feelings to others. We just have to look past them and rejoice in the wonderful friends that others are.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gramof6
I have read the replies on this topic and have experienced many of the complaints first hand by rude folks. Face it...there are some "not so nice people" in this world & it is growing daily. But, that just makes me want to try harder to be a better person. Reach out to others more. Ya just never know if someone is hurting inside or having a problem so smile and say hello. Ask how they are doing. Tell them to have a nice day. To the rude folks, I like to face them off and just ask them how perfect they were when they first started out. Or how do they think God must feel about their behavior. I have run into the cliques in Guilds, Bees, and forum as well. That is why I landed here. I think I can get the help I need to further my knowledge in quilting from you sweet people. I do not need a rude bunch. I can talk and post back & forth here. I need to figure out the Chat thingy. LOL I need & want quilty friends. None of us need or want rude treatment from anywhere. I am just plain old me and do not want to have to pass a test to see if I am good enough to be in any group. So I look at this as "my" online guild sort of place. Thank You for allowing me to join and be a part of you.
Exactly!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 09:05 AM

[won't let me join them because I'm a man]

[that guild is descriminating and that's not right]

It's much more than that. It's unlawful.
More specifically, it's unconstitutional, and that's a lot more than unlawful.

They cannot do that to you.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 AM

Billy & Eddie yall come to Texas & we will start our own guild. Do any of you remember Roosevelt Greer, pro football player & he did needlepoint. Wonder if they wouldn't let him in any needle guilds or clubs. I don't understand not welcoming all people. Maybe they are afarid that you guys will out class them.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:20 AM

... On the other hand, who wants to be with such people.
Any way you could start your own guild, or sewing club? They do not have to be the only game in town, I wouldn't think.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:27 AM

I am sorry to hear about your bad experience. My was not about a quilter herself, but a quilter who also does longarm quilting. It was a limited class, out of which 5 of the 6 people knew each other(seems since birth nursery days)I was the new person. They were talking about how many quilts they had to finish. I asked if they had a large backlog and that I was looking for a longarm quilter. Long story short, they do laq only for their "friends". I tell myself, there are no rude quilters, just rude people who happen to quilt. May their points and seams never match :).
Old 05-02-2010, 10:05 AM

I am kind of looking at this a bit differently, concerning this post....are we being like those people right now by hashing them over? It's sad when people do that but there is a time to let go of a subject and move on. Say prayer for that person and move on.